Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Cobb stage 2 target boost question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Cobb stage 2 target boost question

I have a 02 WRX, Accessport stage 2, stock restrictor, STI pannel filter, STI upipe, TXS DP, TXS midpipe with cat and a Blitz Nur-Spec R catback with the silencer.

When I first flashed stage 2 I was hitting target boost then after some learning boost decreased to around 14.5 psi so I went with the HWG map and the same thing happend. Now I adjusted the WGA 2 turns (without the HWG map) and I'm hitting target again and the car feels stronger but boost will fluctuate + or - .5 psi but never go over 16 psi. I'm prety sure this is not considerd a boost spike since it is not overboosting but I just wanted to make sure. I did some searches and couldnt find the answer I was looking for and I was hopeing someone could give me the definition of boost spike. Is it only a spike if you overboost or is it considered a spike when you fluctuate a certain amount (1psi or what)?

I am also wondering why my boost is decreasing after the ecu does some learning. Is it because the car is knocking (cant hear knock) or what?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2004, 09:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by MO REX
I have a 02 WRX, Accessport stage 2, stock restrictor, STI pannel filter, STI upipe, TXS DP, TXS midpipe with cat and a Blitz Nur-Spec R catback with the silencer.

When I first flashed stage 2 I was hitting target boost then after some learning boost decreased to around 14.5 psi so I went with the HWG map and the same thing happend. Now I adjusted the WGA 2 turns (without the HWG map) and I'm hitting target again and the car feels stronger but boost will fluctuate + or - .5 psi but never go over 16 psi. I'm prety sure this is not considerd a boost spike since it is not overboosting but I just wanted to make sure. I did some searches and couldnt find the answer I was looking for and I was hopeing someone could give me the definition of boost spike. Is it only a spike if you overboost or is it considered a spike when you fluctuate a certain amount (1psi or what)?

I am also wondering why my boost is decreasing after the ecu does some learning. Is it because the car is knocking (cant hear knock) or what?

Thanks
Sounds like the ECU is "learning" to me. Soemtimes the knock isn't severe enough to be heard (especially over the much louder catless exhaust) yet is enough for the ECU to adjust boost. Instead of changing maps, simply do a soft reset of your ECU. Your boost should come on nice and strong, then go away again over time. If it does, my money is that the ECU is adjusting for knock.

-Chris
Old 10-26-2004, 01:48 AM

Car Info: 2005 STI
sorry... i have a question too.... anyone have a pic of how to adjust the actuator? im having a lil trouble hitting target boost on stage 2. i only get 14.5 psi. when i pass 5k rpms, thats when i hit maybe 15. on the AP, it reads only about 14.6 consistently and sometimes hits about 15.6 once while im pushing it in thiird and forth... is this normal?
Old 10-26-2004, 02:44 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wonton2049
sorry... i have a question too.... anyone have a pic of how to adjust the actuator? im having a lil trouble hitting target boost on stage 2. i only get 14.5 psi. when i pass 5k rpms, thats when i hit maybe 15. on the AP, it reads only about 14.6 consistently and sometimes hits about 15.6 once while im pushing it in thiird and forth... is this normal?
If you are hitting 15.6 psi consistently in 3rd to 4th I wouldnt think you need to do the adjustment. If your not here is a link http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3654.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Sounds like the ECU is "learning" to me. Soemtimes the knock isn't severe enough to be heard (especially over the much louder catless exhaust) yet is enough for the ECU to adjust boost. Instead of changing maps, simply do a soft reset of your ECU. Your boost should come on nice and strong, then go away again over time. If it does, my money is that the ECU is adjusting for knock.

-Chris

I think you are probably correct and if that is the case I would think I need to take it easy anytime the car is serviced and had the batery disconnected.

Do you consider my boost issues Boost spike? I would think not but I just wanted to make sure

Thanks for the reply.