Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Cobb stage 1 and running lean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Question Cobb stage 1 and running lean?

I have my Accessport orderd and when it comes in I plan on running stage 1 untill I can afford the TBE. I read a thread @ nasioc that said that people that had cobb reflashes and dynoed the car afterwards were running very lean (no proof). The reason I went with the Cobb accessport is because of Cobbs reputation of selling the most safe off the shelf maps. If any of you have dynoed your car after a Cobb reflash and you know your ARF please tell me the results along with the other modifications you have. I'm sure there is nothing to worry about but I would feel better if I heard it from someone that has some proof to back it up unlike the person in the thread on nasioc.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX (Silver Sedan)
I don't know about running lean, but I have an AP and have been hearing a lot about people getting a lot of pinging and high egt's. I wonder what all the madness is about?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:09 PM
VIP Member

What stage are you running, what other mods and how do you like it? Aside from what I read in that thread @ nasioc everything I've heard has been great.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 2007 STI
I just installed my Stg 1 AP a few days ago. On the very first day I was doing pulls on the freeway in 80 degree weather. It pinged during one pull (uphill in 4th gear) and the ECU has learned it's lesson. It hasn't pinged since then.

The first day I was very disapointed. I was pissed off because it pinged (one time) and it didn't increase my power. I was maxing out at about 11.8 PSI, which is below stock. This was on an 80 degree day.

The second day, power was a little better and boost was maxing out at about 13.8.

Third day, there was a notable increase in power and boost is now maxing out at about 14.3.

The power increase is nice, but the drivability of the car is WAAAAY better than stock. Power and boost increase in a much more linear and predictable fasion. I'm runing stage 1 91 octane... can't wait to get a turbo back and go to stage 2!

I have heard of people not hitting boost targets, but this may be during the learning process of the ECU. I was pretty unhappy during the first day when I was only hitting 11 PSI. Give it time to learn and you should be fine. Make sure you buy good quality gas (Chevron, 76, etc) and stay away from sketchy stations... lower octane might cause some pings/detonation.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:05 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TQuintin
I just installed my Stg 1 AP a few days ago. On the very first day I was doing pulls on the freeway in 80 degree weather. It pinged during one pull (uphill in 4th gear) and the ECU has learned it's lesson. It hasn't pinged since then.

The first day I was very disapointed. I was pissed off because it pinged (one time) and it didn't increase my power. I was maxing out at about 11.8 PSI, which is below stock. This was on an 80 degree day.

The second day, power was a little better and boost was maxing out at about 13.8.

Third day, there was a notable increase in power and boost is now maxing out at about 14.3.

The power increase is nice, but the drivability of the car is WAAAAY better than stock. Power and boost increase in a much more linear and predictable fasion. I'm runing stage 1 91 octane... can't wait to get a turbo back and go to stage 2!

I have heard of people not hitting boost targets, but this may be during the learning process of the ECU. I was pretty unhappy during the first day when I was only hitting 11 PSI. Give it time to learn and you should be fine. Make sure you buy good quality gas (Chevron, 76, etc) and stay away from sketchy stations... lower octane might cause some pings/detonation.

Thanks for the info. I think I will try Vishnu's quick learning trick and see if I can avoid the 2 day delay and ping. I have 45k on my WRX and have never put anything but 93 octane Mobile gas in it. We dont have Chevron here in St. Louis.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
That's nice to know about the learning process before I get freaked out when I get my accessport, good post bro.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by esracer
That's nice to know about the learning process before I get freaked out when I get my accessport, good post bro.
Avoid the wait and try this: https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...ishnu+learning
Old 05-11-2004, 02:53 PM
VIP Member

Talking

Originally Posted by IntraWRX
I'm on AP stage 1 for about a month now, so far I'm okay. Here is a link to Cobb's explanation, if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...;f=11;t=000339

Thanks for the link.