Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Cobb Stage 1 Cylinder Head Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 12:09 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
Cobb Stage 1 Cylinder Head Package

I was getting ready to purchase a UTEK for my WRX but before I do I wanted to see if I could get some feed back on the Cobb Tuning Stage 1 Cylinder Head Package. I realize that the cylinder head is a little over twice the cost of the UTEK but I was thinking it might be smart for me to continue saving and go for the cylinder head. I have heard many people say that the stock turbo has a hard time supporting more than 300 hp and was wondering if this applies to all ways of modification or only when dealing with bolt-ons? Will I need to purchase a larger turbo to take advantage of the cylinder head and If so will that require larger injectors and a fuel pump. I would like to avoid purchasing a turbo as well as injectors and a fuel pump at this time and if I do decide to muve up to a larger turbo I would like to stay close to the stock size but increase the efficiantcy of the turbo for drivability issues,(can I do that without the injetors and fuel pump?). My power goals remain undefined in terms of numbers but ideally I would like to milk as much power as I can from the car with little effect on reliability and drivability. Cobb claims a starting point of 30 additional hp for the cylinder head alone. Can I expect another 30+ from a UTEK if I add the UTEK after the cylinder head? I know very little right now so all pertinent information will be helpful. I am also interested in knowing if the Stage 1 will effect my emissions negatively or has any reliability issues compared with stock. This is just the first step as I am certain more information will lead to more questions so if you can think of any information that I might find useful please include it in your response. I have yet to contact Cobb becuase I would like to know what I am talking about, to some degree at least, befor hand. Thanks

Last edited by Andersonwrx; 01-30-2003 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
personally i would not go into your motor until you are ready to do the entire project. so far on my car i have done everything you can possibly do to it. i have a fully built 2.5 closed deck with completely done wrx heads. going all the way is a huge project that takes time and money. i would only do the heads if i were going all out on the heads. so if you did want to do the heads, do the stage 3 not the stage 1. if you are going to go as far as talking your heads off, do the entire motor.

just my .02 cents