Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Cat is out of the bag - Vishnu ECUTEK + XEDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 01:56 PM

Cat is out of the bag - Vishnu ECUTEK + XEDE

I'll write up a full review in week or so (lemme get a few tank full rides out of it - before coming to any conclusions).

But initial review - oh yeah ... I love my new ANGRY torque curve and the newly found usuable HP gains are beautiful ... previous peak HP is now hitting 800 rpm sooner, yikes!

Here's a link that might be more insightful ...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=306288
Old 01-26-2003, 05:15 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by CupertinoSteve
I'll write up a full review in week or so (lemme get a few tank full rides out of it - before coming to any conclusions).
Looking forward to your update, Steve. Good timing, too - just read about (Mar-2003 issue) Sport Compact Car's Project WRX which was tuned a few months ago at Vishnu. They are also running Stage 2 and XEDE.

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush
Old 01-26-2003, 01:37 PM

do you know if the SCC Project car had a reflash with the XEDE or just the XEDE? (I thought it was the latter) ...
Old 01-26-2003, 04:38 PM

do you know if the SCC Project car had a reflash with the XEDE or just the XEDE? (I thought it was the latter) ...
Steve, there's no mention of EcuTek or a re-flash anywhere in the article. They talk about the benefits of EXED tuning over both the Unichip and the limitations of the factory ECU.

--
^ww^
Old 01-26-2003, 09:38 PM

is the march issue out already? I looked yesterday at a couple stores ... no luck.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:48 AM

is the march issue out already? I looked yesterday at a couple stores ... no luck.
I received my subscription copy early last week. Look for a red Toyota Supra cover car and a small inset photo of a yellow Evo 8 in the top right hand corner. I checked for the Project WRX article online but they were still on the February issue. They don't put many of the articles online these days, anyhow.

--
^ww^
Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
why do you have the xede AND the reflash? why can't you run the xede with a totally stock ecu?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:42 PM

Hi Razor,
The reflashed ECU is perfect if you want to drive around in a single "mode". Personally, I think its enough for the majority of people. I wanted to get the XEDE in order to maximize performance when i'm at the HPDEs. Usually I get up to the track with somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of gas. Depending if I'm putting in 100 - 116 into the tank, I can calculate the average octane. With that said, the XEDE can store up to 12 maps internally and you'll be able to toggle them with a simple dial.

The factory ECU has a base setting with an allowed amount of variance (its given an authority range) depending on what the ECU is "feeling". The reflashed ECU, sets the base settings "more aggressively" and shortens the amount of variance allowed ... the XEDE will further dictate exactly what you want by intercepting and altering the signal the ECU receives.

From my perspective, Vishnu needs to remap the ECU for the saftest possible settings ... tuning based on winter, oxygenated, CA 91 octane (yucky stuff). But since a lot of their customers are here in CA, this is probably the base for the remapped ECU.

If you check out the dyno plot on: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=306288

You'll notice that there is a significant torque bump compared to the reflashed torque curve ... not to mention, there is more usable HP and the previous peak comes about 700-800 rpm sooner. That in itself might be worth just getting the XEDE.

Razor, are you going to any meets this week? If you do, you can take my car out for a ride.

Steve
Old 01-27-2003, 02:43 PM

oops to answer razor's actual question ... you can run the XEDE with a stock ECU.

S
Old 01-27-2003, 02:49 PM
@Stoptech

Well shoot, I just might have to with an offer like that. Which one(s) are you going to?
Old 01-27-2003, 07:19 PM

Car Info: 996 Turbo,Gallardo,BMW 335,125cc shifter kart,etc
Hi guys,

Yes, you can run the XEDE with the stock computer (just like SCC's Project WRX). For highly modified cars, you'll need to make some big fuel, ignition and boost adjustments which will require careful tuning and, preferably, the use of a dyno. Used with the reflash (which already makes 90% of the necessary fuel/spark/boost changes, the XEDE can be used to add slight tweaks here and there (as needed or wanted). This is, by far, the easiest tuning approach since you are already starting with a well-tuned foundation (like CupertinoSteve's WRX). Tuning, in such a case, isn't much more than adding a degree or two of timing here or a couple percent reducing in fuel here and there. It's something just about anyone can do without deep understanding of engine tuning theory or previous tuning experience.

Best Regards,
Shiv
www.vishnutuning.com
________
New jersey marijuana dispensary

Last edited by Vishnu; 03-07-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:30 PM
@Stoptech

Originally posted by Vishnu
Hi guys,

Yes, you can run the XEDE with the stock computer (just like SCC's Project WRX). For highly modified cars, you'll need to make some big fuel, ignition and boost adjustments which will require careful tuning and, preferably, the use of a dyno. Used with the reflash (which already makes 90% of the necessary fuel/spark/boost changes, the XEDE can be used to add slight tweaks here and there (as needed or wanted). This is, by far, the easiest tuning approach since you are already starting with a well-tuned foundation (like CupertinoSteve's WRX). Tuning, in such a case, isn't much more than adding a degree or two of timing here or a couple percent reducing in fuel here and there. It's something just about anyone can do without deep understanding of engine tuning theory or previous tuning experience.

Best Regards,
Shiv
www.vishnutuning.com
So basically what you're saying is that the XEDE is a comparable product to Turbo XS's UTEC. Would you enlighten us as to what the advantages of your product over its competitors might be? Basically why should I buy your product over any one else's?

Also, to paraphrase, getting a reflash would just make it easier for the end user to get the tune right on as it would already be closer to where it should ideally be.

Last question: can you give some prices for the XEDE and perhaps an XEDE and reflash combo? Thanks in advance Shiv!!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by Steppin Razor
<snip..>
Last question: can you give some prices for the XEDE and perhaps an XEDE and reflash combo?
From Vishnu Performance Systems XEDE page:

XEDE System
Includes XEDE computer, Plug-In Harness and 6' Serial cable. $795

XMAP Downloading and Viewing Software
Allows user to view and upload existing XEDE tuning maps. $FREE

XMAP Full-Functional Tuning Software
Allows user to create new, or modify existing, XEDE tuning maps. Only recommended for those who want to tune and understand the consequences of improper engine management calibration. $100

--
^ww^
Old 01-28-2003, 09:46 AM
@Stoptech

dubble dub, thanks for that.

now can any one explain the pros and cons of the XEDE vs. UTEC? It looks like pricing is pretty similar, so lets get s comparo going here.

Quick Reply: Cat is out of the bag - Vishnu ECUTEK + XEDE