Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

BOV Problemo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2009 G Ride
BOV Problemo!!!

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with my blow off valve(s). I have both a TurboXS RFL and a GFB Hybrid. I installed the RFL and under 7 psi, it works very well. However, anything really over that and when I'm at full throttle/boost, I can't hear anything. Sometimes it will be s very very very quick "pssh", other times a very delayed sound, and most of the time nothing at all. I then removed the RFL and installed the GFB and the same thing happens. The only other mods I have on my car is a Vishnu turboback, uppipe, and pulley. Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Chris
Old 11-28-2003, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
The piston that rides up and down inside of the BOV may need lubricating. It may be sticking to the inside of the body of the BOV. I had this problem with my GFB and took it apart and took this pic. Open up the BOV and disassemble everything. Wipe out the inside with isopropyl alcohol as well as the piston. Re-lube the outside of the piston(brass portion in pic) with silicone grease and put everything back together.
Attached Thumbnails BOV Problemo!!!-exploded2.jpg  
Old 11-28-2003, 04:50 PM

Also check the vaccum hose that goes to the BOV is in good condition and has no cracks. This will definately affect the vaccum signal to the BOV. Do you have a vaccum "T" in that area? Make sure all connections are secure and tight.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:16 PM

Here answers to your PM since your mailbox is full:

I wouldn't use WD40, since WD40 is not a solvent cleaner, but a lubricant. Go to Longs or Rite Aid and buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean it with.

Did you check to make sure the hose that goes to the BOV is in good condition and isn't cracked? And all of the conections to that vaccum hose have tight connections.

Is the BOV gasket that goes between the BOV and the intercooler in good condition. That could also cause a problem.

Also make sure the cap that goes in the return line is secure and isn't leaking. That could also cause a problem.

The only other solution I can think of is to try the stock BOV and see if your car runs any different.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 11-28-2003, 10:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
just asking ..... what happens if its not fixed...?

edgar,
Old 11-28-2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by zumnwrx
just asking ..... what happens if its not fixed...?

edgar,
His question leads me to ask another question.

Are you getting full boost when you should? That is why I asked so many questions about leaks. If you had a vaccum leak you would know about it. Either your idle would be off. It would go way down and then come up when you hit the gas. Or you wouldn't be able to get full boost under WOT, since you had some sort of leak(vaccum or turbo system.)
Old 11-28-2003, 10:35 PM
VIP Member

Haven't had a chance to run a lot of tests yet, but my idle is somewhat off. If I rev it a little bit, it dips down to like 300 then back up to 700ish RPMs. Sometimes it even idles like it has cams: 500-1000-500-1000 and so on...
Old 11-28-2003, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Kickz107
Haven't had a chance to run a lot of tests yet, but my idle is somewhat off. If I rev it a little bit, it dips down to like 300 then back up to 700ish RPMs. Sometimes it even idles like it has cams: 500-1000-500-1000 and so on...
This was my exact problem when I had my GFB. And the re-lubricating solved the idle problem. Another thing you can check as well:

With the car running at idle, open up the hood and get some carb cleaner. Spray car cleaner around the circumference of the BOV on the intercooler. If the idle goes up at all when you are spraying, you have a gasket leak. You will need to replace the BOV gasket. Try it. It is worth a shot. If that doesn't help, re-lubricate the BOV and try again. If all else fails, get rid of the F'ing BOV's and go back to stock. Nothing better than 100% recirculation anyways.

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 11-30-2003, 08:44 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
turboxs rfl has a terrible idling problem if you notice when your at idle the rpm jumps up and down like the car is about to shut down . thats basically bcause the bov is 100% atmosphere which is not to good for your car take it from my experience. Now i have the gfb and i love it
Old 12-01-2003, 07:10 PM
VIP Member

Ok, so for right now I've given up with the RFL, and I'm concentrating on the GFB... I tried changing the block off piece that covers the recirculating hose, I cleaned out the GFB BOV and regreased it with silicone grease and even got a new IC gasket. As far as I can see, there is no leak/crack in the vacuum hose. Ahhhh, what now!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:13 PM

Go back to stock and sell the POS BOV!

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
Old 12-01-2003, 08:17 PM
VIP Member

Could it be a vacuum leak though? I haven't had a good chance to check yet, due to the rain...
Old 12-01-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Kickz107
Could it be a vacuum leak though? I haven't had a good chance to check yet, due to the rain...
The vacuum leak can be found by spraying the carb cleaner around the circumference of the BOV and around all vacuum lines. Try it. Have the car on and try it when the car is at idle. If the idle suddenly jumps, you have found a vacuum leak.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

I'm gonna try that tomorrow... Let's just suppose that there isn't a vacuum leak.. Is there anything else it could possibly be? I bought both of these BOVs off local members (friends of mine) and I've been in both of their cars and the two BOVs worked 100% perfect.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:41 PM

What exactly is the problem with both of these BOV's. Please describe in full detail.

Are there any adjustment screws on either BOV, to decrease the spring pressure?

Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)

Quick Reply: BOV Problemo!!!