Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Bov Help ! Asap Plz

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Bov Help ! Asap Plz

i installed my HKS SSQV BOV today, and after i was done when i started the car it had a rought idle.. then after awhile it died. and when i tried to start it back up again it died again, does anyone know why it keeps dieing? its a 100% amospheric BOV, i went out to dinner and got home and started the car again and it moved a little bit then died again. Can somone please help? the only mod i have on my car is a ECUTEK.

2nd question, is there a easier way to install the BOV? should i take off the TMIC? cause its really hard to close that clamp that goes back into the engine.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:29 PM

o ya one more thing, there is also a very strong smell after i start the car... i think it smells like gasoline?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:25 PM

k i just put the stock BOV back on, but after i was done i started the engine and reved it, black smoke came outa my exhuast so that means i'm running rich, and on the high RPM's my exhuast would backfire. is this normal? and i just need to drive it out? or whats going on? any advice would be great thanks.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
same thing happened to me about an hour after i installed mine, and ever since it hasnt done that.. what i did was as soon as it started up give it a little rev, actually what would be better to do is to is put it in 1st gear, and then once your car starts up start going right away to get some pressure in the motor to squeze out the extra gas, and then id say run your car for as long as you can to let your ECU adjust as much as it can to the hks bov!!
Old 10-08-2005, 12:30 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
In other words drive regular, and over time the ecu will adjust to whatever way u choose to go (with or without the bov).
Old 10-08-2005, 12:39 AM

you should try to reset your ECU so that it could learn how to use the stock recirc valve again. it worked for me when i briefly ran the HKS SSQV.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:02 AM

sweet thanks, ya i think i'm going to try to get the GFB 50/50 instead. and get rid of this HKS
Old 10-08-2005, 10:31 AM

Bov Help ! Asap Plz

hello, i know of multiple subie owners that have the HKS bov and have had no problems. i think you should check for leaks. was the bov purchased new or used? after doing much research on this forum and others i went with the GFB. www.gofastbits.com check it out. totaly adjustable. i was going to get the HKS bov because i have the up & down pipe and catback exhaust, ya know to keep it all the same. but the bov they sell is not an adjustable one. lol
Old 10-10-2005, 09:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
check to see if everything is hooked up right check for leaks. and did you plug the recircluation hose up?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:37 PM

well it was half way plugged in on the recirculatory hose lol. i couldn't get the rest of it in but i'm pretty sure it wasnt leaking thou because it was on pretty damn tight.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:33 PM

Car Info: civic
dude, thats normal. its cause of the set up. mine didnt stall but it had the smell. its just cause you got a part that will make your car run rich, which means, your ecu running off a map based on a diverter valve rather than a blow off valve. so as someone stated, you just gotta drive a bit, so your car will adapt. it will learn and run fine. just like when folks put on exhaust and othe components, the computer has to adapt to run efficeintly. dont worry about it.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:34 PM

i would if my car would drive at all, like i said after i had it on it dosent drive at all it jsut non stop stalling and black stream of smoke coming out of my exhuast.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:48 PM

just let ur car run when u start it up keep it at like 2g and it will do fine after like 2 min not even that just have to let the ecu reformat
Old 10-10-2005, 11:48 PM

well bov makes ur car run richer
Old 10-11-2005, 12:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
make sure that everything is tight(not too tight) and put back on properly...

and that clamp that your talking about that goes back to the engine....Is that the recirculating hose clamp? if so, yeah i would just make sure that it's clamped on properly by taking off the IC, just to get a good view if it's really sealed....hope this helps....

Quick Reply: Bov Help ! Asap Plz