Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

bov (is it bad for an engine?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:52 PM

Car Info: WRX
Hey everyone,

Refuse07, glad we could help.

WRX409, even though most traditional BOV’s are largely about noise, there are some technical benefits in using the right sort of valve, including improved throttle response/less turbo lag, and unlimited boost-holding ability.

RysingSun808, can I ask a couple of questions regarding your experience?

When you say your atmo valve made your car run rich, can you clarify this a little more? I.e. did it change the AFRs only when you shifted gears, all the time, or during another specific set of conditions? Any idea by how much?

Also, when you say you need to pay attention to the smaller details like checking fluids, again, can you give me some more info and background here?

Regards,
GFB Pete

Go Fast Bits
www.gofastbits.com
Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Car Info: '06 GT52'd STi '03 Miata SE
Don't put on the BOV buddy. Your car's driveability will be hindered severly. Plus, you will be running extremely rich and shooting out fireballs/backfire.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 PM

Car Info: WRX
Hey everyone,

kloo413, would it be right to assume that you’ve personally experienced the “run rich” problem with an atmo BOV?

In our original post our resident engineer talked about the issue of “running rich”, making the point that an atmo venting BOV only affects the air/fuel ratio when it is venting, i.e. for a brief period after the throttle is closed. If your AFRs change when the throttle is open, you might have a significant boost leak somewhere.

Interestingly, our testing shows there is a direct relationship between the amount of air vented to the atmosphere by the BOV and the richness of the mixture when shifting – this is easy to imagine because the more air that escapes to atmosphere, the higher the reading of the airflow meter during venting. We think that we can offer some solutions here.

Again, we’d love to solve some of these issues for people, just let us know, Go Fast Bits standing by 

Regards,
GFB Pete

Go Fast Bits
www.gofastbits.com
Old 04-20-2009, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
after a while the noise gets annoying anyway but the GFB valve does work very nice and if you get the stealth model you can turn the venting on and off which means when a cop is near you can be stealth and no getting pulled over **wink**
Old 04-29-2009, 05:05 AM

Car Info: Subaru WRX Impreza
i've had my HKS BOV on for about 4 months...so far...no problems, yeah my car backfires usually when i downshift but thats about it. i've had no problems. however, i haven't sealed off a hose yet completly so my car makes a whistling sound as i increase in speed. almost sounds like a girl is screaming under my hood,once i let go though it makes the "psh" sound. People always think i have a supercharger under the hood but i personally find that noise to be AMAZINGLY annoying
Old 04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
the return hose?!??!?!?!!?!1
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Car Info: Sti hatch
Originally Posted by blackbullet03
i've had my HKS BOV on for about 4 months...so far...no problems, yeah my car backfires usually when i downshift but thats about it. i've had no problems. however, i haven't sealed off a hose yet completly so my car makes a whistling sound as i increase in speed. almost sounds like a girl is screaming under my hood,once i let go though it makes the "psh" sound. People always think i have a supercharger under the hood but i personally find that noise to be AMAZINGLY annoying

that is called a boost leak. you probably tore a bit off your gasket, or the flange on the bov is not machined flush. had the same problem with my ebay tmic. it sounds like when you put a piece of grass between your thumbs and blow on it, makes a whining noise. easy fix is making your own gasket from some thicker gasket material from like NAPA or something.

the 'running rich' topic is old... you are only 'running rich' in between shifts becasue your ecu isnt detecting the normal air recirculating so it shoots in more fuel where some air is not coming back due to the capped off hose, thus throwing fuel into your cat or dp and igniting creating a 'pop' or backFIRE. the time period that it 'runs rich' is so minimal and such a short period of time it makes no real severe difference. get an AP or some kind of device that will allow you to read a/f ratios and you will see the millisecond it drops down to about 11.2 at the least. or if you have wideband readings those are the same. you should be at no lower than 12 full throttle on a stock map, which i assume you are running.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
YOULL shoot your eye out......