Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Borla hush +downpipe question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:00 PM

Borla hush +downpipe question

I was thinking of getting a borla hush exhaust, but I remember people saying there was a fitment problem with some downpipes. I am looking for a dp with a highflow cat and preferably a divorced wastegate, can anyone recomend on that will work with a borla hush? It is going on a 02' wagon btw. (also am I gunna need anything like hangers and new gaskets) thanks!
-John
Old 09-07-2004, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
yo wassup dude... i see that you are from oahu... anyway, the hush will mate with a pde dp. but you looking for a divorced wg so stromung is available... i have the helix mated with my hush and i love it... if you need to make a custome flange for your hush, go to esh in kailua... he did mine.. very awesome....
Old 09-08-2004, 12:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: stock 04 wrx sedan
or you could contct mpj/gb performance a vendor here on the board, they sell an adapater for the hush cb kit that comes pre welded to mate to most downpipe
Old 09-09-2004, 06:32 AM

Car Info: _
If you have the diff guard and want to keep it on with the Borla Hush, you should get the longer Kartboy exhaust hangers to give you clearance around the plate.

The issue is that the Borla uses the factory "donut-gasket" connection to mate up with the DP/3rd CAT. Most aftermarket DP's don't use this connection, they typically use a flat flange.
No major problem because the 1st piece of pipe (with the Borla) can be removed, is like 16" long, and can have a flat flange welded on to adapt to other DP's. I believe MPJ sells this piece of pipe standalone so that the Borla works with most aftermarket DP's.

I have the Borla Hush & like it alot. I'd recommend running it with the factory DP at first to get a feel and if you want a louder sound, +20-25 hp, and the stinky smell, go with an aftermarket DP (but don't get rid of your stock one!).
Old 09-09-2004, 08:34 AM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Originally Posted by stevedood
I have the Borla Hush & like it alot. I'd recommend running it with the factory DP at first to get a feel and if you want a louder sound, +20-25 hp, and the stinky smell, go with an aftermarket DP (but don't get rid of your stock one!).

What stinky smell? I've heard this mentioned but have not noticed it on any cat-less car. Could be the gas in your area.

John,
I currently have the Hush and a PDE downpipe which works great. I am changing the dp to a Helix one (for various reasons) and have heard that you can get a 3" double donut gasket from Midas that would work between a flat flange dp and the borla. I haven't had a chance to check on it yet but someone gave me a part number (#EN1493). I'll probably stop by tomorrow to see if they've got it. I already have my Helix and was planning to swap 'em out this weekend.