Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

boost fluctuates (was: need help quik)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:56 AM

need help quik

so I replaced my BOV and my bad idle is better now.

I have one last question, so far everyone that I talk to gives me a different answer.

at full throttle, sometimes even half, my boost is fluctuating. it makes the car seem like i am pushing in and out on the accel, but my rpms dont change just boost.

I have been told everything from the valves need to be adjusted, new spark plugs, my vacuum lines are to long, bad gasket somewhere on the turbo, blah blah.

can anyone help.

I can take a video of my boost gauge and post it if need be.

I hope driving it isnt damaging anything. oh and I havent had a check engine light at all.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Its really hard to say what could be causing it....you have heard so many different answers because there are many different things that could cause it.....but from what it sounds like to me.....you are getting some boost creep/spiking, which is a problem with the wastegate on your turbo. What turbo are you running? is it stock? Is your car an STi or reg. WRX? Having your wastegate ported is the solution if indeed this is the cause. But, It could also be your wastegate actuator going out on you. Sorry I couldnt be of more help....but you really need to do some more research to figure it out. For starters, I would try doing the 3/16 mod (EDIT: I have been reading up on the 3/16 mod.....DONT DO IT, its not a good mod, it will give you boost spikes!) From there, its a process of elimination.

-Ted

Last edited by GotBoost?; 05-19-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 PM

stock wrx turbo,
just had new HKS ssq BOV put on
dual stage boost controller which is not conected (I thought this was the problem)
stock exhaust except for uppipe (the pipe from engine side, i think its upipe)
cold air intake, AEM the one that goes into the fender

I will look into the wastegate. Its just hard cause everyone is telling me so many different things

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-20-2005, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Blue
I have heard the Intakes have been known to cause problems. Not sure if your peticular one would cause that problem though.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX Sedan
from what i have read about intakes, nothing is better than the stock box. i guess the AEM intake is supposedly the WORST for the wrx. if u go with an intake, ide recommend the INJEN or some type of shorty
Old 05-21-2005, 10:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
I have a 02 with a Cobb stage 2 reflash and I just fixed a problem with boost waver/spike. Is your car over boosting in a yoyo like fashion? If so it could be a number of things. A good way to test the WG is to disconnect the FBC and run a straight piece of vac line from the compressor to the WG solenoid. If you hold between 7-8psi rock steady the WG is ok. If the WG is good then you most likely have a bad FBC or a vac leak. I’ve read about a lot of people having problems with their FBC when they get rid of their boost controllers. The FBC gets dirty when it is on standby so you might need clean it. I’m almost positive my problem was with the clamp at the T that leads to the compressor since the problem went away after I fixed it.

When trouble shooting a problem it’s always good to know how the thing that is malfunctioning works. Do you understand how our cars regulate boost? Do you know what the WG solenoid, FBC and other related parts do to regulate boost? If not I would be happy to explain so just ask scumbag (sorry I couldn’t resist).

BTW, running a boost controller and intake without proper EM is a bad idea. If I were you I would ditch the boost controller, intake (read sticky) and BOV and invest in some EM. Don’t think of the $ you wasted on the BC, BOV and intake, think of the $ you might be saving on a rebuild.