Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Bogus free mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by PSM_WRX_03
does the ecu reset work...with reflashed ecu's?
Yes, but not Vishnu reflashes, or others that default to the maximum settings upon ECU reset (disconnecting battery, stepping on brake pedal several times, re-connecting battery). Those reflashes have eliminated the need to do the special reset while driving.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-13-2004, 02:31 PM

One of the things that the first post fails to mention is how true engine management (reflash, piggyback, or standalone) makes the most of the bolt-on mods. Engine management is not free but it allows most of the other mods to work safely.

Using the Search feature at the bottom right of the 'WRX Powerplant EJ20T' and the 'Engine Management' forums can yield some good info on specific topics. I've found answers to a lot of my questions without having to post them, along with followup questions and answers that may not have occurred to me at the time.

--
0==WW==0
Old 01-13-2004, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
Originally posted by RussB
is that the kind of help you were given when you were a n00b to this site? i'm guessing it took at least 5 minutes to come up with that witty reply... in the same ammount of time, you could have answered his questions, given some real advice, and help enlighten him so he doesn't blow up his engine.
He's a nuub, yet is staking his companies reputation on what he wrote by including his company's name and his name at the bottom. So sure, he is a nuub and a stupid one at that.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:25 PM

I merged the two threads - newer one posted by jerry the kid in General, and the second thread posted by XJ Sean in WRX Powerplant EJ20T. XJ Sean posted on behalf of someone else, so we aren't really addressing the author directly. Hope this isn't too confusing, but I didn't see the point in having two discussions about the same post.

--
0==WW==0
Old 01-13-2004, 07:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
The only mod in that list that's worthwhile would actually be the gutted cats one.

Raising boost = need new motor.

Intake = pointless, ricer mod for more noise

ECU reset = you will just LOSE the learning your car has done to get knock free...so you'll be faster for 2 or three pulls while you knock and the car learns and pulls timing again.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Step 4: It will allow the intake system to get at least 10 more hp to the engine.
Thats the best line. Like HP are floating around on the highway like little pixies! muahhahahaha!

I bet people sell this on Ebay.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:29 PM

so basically all the free mods are bull****?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:18 AM

Total B.S. XJ Sean, The only one that I would consider doing out of all that crap is the intake silencer mod. But don't expect it to give you more HP. For the most part, you'll just hear the turbo spool up more. Alot of peolpe have gutted their U.P. & D.P., but I'd just save your money & do it the right way. One thing at a time if you have to! You'll have alot better outcome. Hope this helps.

Will.

Last edited by SubieStyle; 01-27-2004 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:50 AM

Car Info: MY03 WRX Wagon Silver
The removal of these two pieces will add ten horsepower (approx 15 horsepower with filter removal). This is another great addition to your car.
Never run without a filter... Suck in a rock, turbo goes bye bye.

Anyone remember on an Audi board sometime ago someone was sucking in sand to "port and polish" their engine thinking sand is "small" enough to just pass through the intake, combustion chamber and the exhaust... That was classic and I start to feel some people have no common sense.

If you want cheap power mod. just change the UP and DP.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
I dunno... I just don't think that cheap mods like that are worth it... you could totally ruin something and end up paying more to fix it. Just do it the right way and save up for a quality piece.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:53 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
The only thing on this post that I have done is the intake silencer mod. I didnt have a boost gauge at the time and wanted to know when my turbo was spooling and what it was doing. I got the boost gauge and I think I am going to put the bottom part back on it. Have any of you guys on this board had any problems with this mod? If you have please let me know. I had a friend that has a 94 Supra TT that did the cheap mod for a boost controller, as far as I know it worked fine but that was on a totally different car and those bottom ends on the 2JZ's have been known to hold some pretty impressive boost on stock internals.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:12 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
these mods sound like they are on the same level as throwing a type R sticker on your car.

removing the intake silencer doesn't magically give the car all this power. i did it and just heard the turbo a bit more, which i kind of liked.

and the whole boost change sounds like a fun way to kill the engine.

i'd like to see proof on his car that it works. if it does then i'll take back what ever bad thoughts i got about those how to manuals the guy made
Old 01-27-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by wrx ish
haha, it said 10 hp from removing the intake silencer, thats funny
I thought i FELT THE power

HAHAHAHA

Quick Reply: Bogus free mods?