Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Best TMIC

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 02:50 PM

Car Info: toaster
Re: Nino's has/had the STI for $599

try looking here again
Old 12-27-2002, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
thanks wes.. I already posted a reply hopefully he replies soon

Jon
Old 12-28-2002, 09:44 AM

bigger is better

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/my01/tmic.htm
i believe this one is $760+~$150 for the ic duct (no pic, but needed)

http://www.turboxs.com
this one is $950
Old 12-28-2002, 09:11 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
My MRT TMIC is nice but if I didn't get the deal I did, I'd get the Vishnu. Or just F--k it and go for the FMIC.

With the IC you will definately be the fastest EAT WRX around. Good on ya bro. Now hurry up and get it!
Old 12-28-2002, 09:12 PM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
Originally posted by Dick Fitzwell
Dig the name dude!
Old 12-28-2002, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
For a really good TMIC, it really depends on the core and its ability to resist heat soak.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:45 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Don't start the bigger is better deal again, please. It is a wrong statement when it comes to intercooler and not knowing so is very bad.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:53 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Alex is right, it is true that not necessarily bigger is better. I have the STI intercooler on my car right now and performance wise, it is the same as the stock intercooler because it has the same core as the stock intercooler.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:22 AM

Car Info: First 12sec WRX in CO
Originally posted by Sloppy Joe

It is not universally accepted that the tube / fin design provides superior cooling as compared to bar / plate.
Tom..
Actually tube-fin do have a tendency for better cooling than bar-plate, and conversely bar-plate have a tendency for lower pressure drop across the IC core. This is just a loose generalization as the design of each individual IC can play a big role. Why do tube-fin provide superior cooling? It makes sense if you consider the higher pressure drop is due to the restrictive flow of this type of intercooler. Therefore the air spends more time inside the IC and accordingly is intercooled to a greater degree.

-Pace
Old 12-29-2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by pace
Actually tube-fin do have a tendency for better cooling than bar-plate, and conversely bar-plate have a tendency for lower pressure drop across the IC core. This is just a loose generalization as the design of each individual IC can play a big role. Why do tube-fin provide superior cooling? It makes sense if you consider the higher pressure drop is due to the restrictive flow of this type of intercooler. Therefore the air spends more time inside the IC and accordingly is intercooled to a greater degree.

-Pace
Yes but it has not been shown to be true universally as I stated, this being as a result of differing end tank designs and other things such as tube diameter, fin count ect ect. I have read many many debates about which is better for cooling efficiency and have come up with the belief that the difference between the two for me anyways is less about which one is more effiecient because their are too many variables to consider ( although I would agree that the tube and fin with all things being relatively equal should in theory shed heat better than bar and plate ), but rather which one will work with a given turbo and which one will hold up over time to the abusiveness of the incomming air and debri it carries with it. I think this is why so many of the currently available IC's use bar and plate design..
Tom..
P.S. Pace I have read a number of your post over on wrxclub.net, ( nice club by the way ) and you would be a great resource to have over here from time to time too..

Last edited by Sloppy Joe; 12-29-2002 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:04 PM

Car Info: First 12sec WRX in CO
Hey Tom,

Yup, you are absolutely correct in that it is not 'universally true'. Unfortunately there seems to be limited data showing back-to-back comparisons of pressure drop and temperature differentials of the various TMIC offerings, so we tend to rely instead on the conventional wisdom that generalizes the behavior of the two construction methodologies.

After being torn between a front-mount and top-mount for some time, I finally have opted for TurboXS' revised top mount IC. For me, the minimal pressure drop and lag of the bar-plate in top-mount configuration is a major factor. I already work my turbos harder at this altitude in an effort to achieve respectable MAP levels and I don't want the lag associated with the additional front-mount tubing nor the pressure-drop of a tube-fin. Nathan also informed me that TurboXS' testing of their units show a minimal horsepower advantage with the front-mount until heat-soak situations are considered...

As to why I chose TurboXS; that has more to do with the sizing of their particular unit and the way in which they stand behind their products and make themselves highly accessible for customer support. Just a personal preference, really.

-Pace
Old 12-30-2002, 05:01 AM

Hi Pace I totally agree with your reasoning in regards to using a TMIC vs. FMIC, I feel the same why. Actually I am of the belief that too many people are opting for FMIC's as a solution when in reality the big top mounts available now are more than adequate for any VF series turbo, especially with water spray for hot summer traffic or track days.
Take care, Tom..
Old 04-30-2003, 05:35 PM

Car Info: 98 L w/hybrid ej257 Linked
i currently have a ej20G w/FMIC, i am planing on selling it for a TMIC. i was wondering what is the max hp a sti top mount can handle before it gets heat soaked. eventually i plan on making about 350awdhp will this IC hold up to it? or would i eventually need get a new top.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:00 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX/STI 2.5 liter VF22
just wondering (as you can see from the pic above) where do you all supose the heat from the turbo is going??? if you look at the stock air diverter, it is designed to force air down to the turbo and direct heat away from the intercooler area. now with a wider top mount which completely covers the turbo, how is the HOT air given off from the the turbo supposed to be diverted and not simply heat soak into the extended area of the intercooler?