Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Best Flowing paper filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I don't think anyone is going to 'dodge' your question but I've yet to encounter anyone who has conducted testing on factory and replacement air filter elements using a flow bench.

I have only used the stock filter elements but will have to take a look at the Purolator replacements to compare it. The factory piece is pretty good as far as the number of pleats. More pleats = more filtering area.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 04-21-2004, 09:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Re: Best Flowing paper filter

Originally posted by edkemm
Everyone dodges answering this issue.I am not willing to chance a Maf sensor to a foam or a k&n filter which is oil impregnated and I have run them in non map systems.Manufacturers don't seem to post cfm ratings on these filter boxes .What are your experiences with different paper filters?.I have noticed the Purolater filter sold in parts stores seems to have more pleats than the stock filter which is supposed to also be made by Purolater. The sti filter is expensive but not much tech data is available. Can someone post information about this rather than toot the horn of K&N or Amsoil?I would appreciate peoples inputs, and I realize the increases would be small, but I'd like to se the question answered not dodged.Thanks.
Well first off, many people use foam and k&n filters on their cars and have no problems with using them. but as wingless wonder said there has not been really any testing on this issue. You should also look into blitz's panel filter.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
STi paper filters are quite nice...