Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Best Exhaust for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 07:02 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
Prodrive axleback or a Magnaflow muffler from any exhaust shop should give you a more aggressive sound as well as at least 5-10 hp and should easily be under $400. I'd skip the catbacks unless you plan on adding a downpipe later. Turbobacks (a catback and down/midpipe) are the best bet for performance and should get you easily 15-20 hp with no other mods. TurboXS makes a good one that's not too expensive. It really doesn't matter what you do first. Alot of people push the uppipe because it probably gives the biggest increase in power/responsiveness due to quicker spool-up of the turbo. I started with Godspeed uppipe, Samco hoses, Stromung downpipe, and later replaced the whole turboback with Vishnu's. Just got the Cobb ECU reflash. So far I'm happy with everything.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
I would highly recommend the Borla Cat-Back. It might be a little loud, but it definitely has good horsepower gains. It has a nice low rumble from the boxer. It's a very non-rice system. I got it for $400 shipped from Rennick Subaru.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:04 PM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
I love my HKS catback. My butt dyno noticed big gains, and if you opt for the non carbon-titanium system it's really not that much $$. Nice sound. Not to intrusive, and when cruising you can barely hear it inside the car.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX sonic yellow
a dumb question....if u have a cat back...and u add a downpipe does that equal to a turbo back???
Old 05-14-2003, 11:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
mattr762,

That's a sweet system man! Very nicely put together.

matt6669,

Cat-Back only replace the resonator and the muffler. Some downpipes only replace the cat in the downpipe, while others replace both the downpipe cat and the midpipe cat. Therefore, if you get a Cat-Back and a downpipe that only replaces the downpipe cat, you will still have the original midpipe cat. Your system will not truly be a turbo-back. Confusing huh? I would suggest a full Turbo-Back from someplace like TurboXS or a Cat-Back and a downpipe that replaces both the downpipe cat and the midpipe cat.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX sonic yellow
i have apex'i gtspec...if ur looking for that v8 sound...i think that's it...it maddd loudddd

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for the money?