Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

APS misquotes max efficient boost for TD04?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 07:03 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
APS misquotes max efficient boost for TD04?

I was browsing the APS website and came across their statement that:

"Typical of any turbocharger, as boost pressure is increased past the point where peak air flow [on the TD04] is produced (at around 19 psi of boost pressure), air flow, hence horsepower decreases."

Did the ADM WRXs get a different TD04 than our TD04L? If not, how do they figure that this turbo's maximum efficient boost if near 19 PSI when it is common belief on this board that one should not run more than 16 PSI on the stock turbo?
Old 01-27-2003, 07:14 PM

Car Info: 04 GGA+
19 psi would be pushing it a wee bit for the TD04. I think they (AU) got the same turbo as we did, must be a misquote.

Big Sky
Old 01-27-2003, 07:23 PM
@Stoptech

In your opinion, what is the actual max efficient boost for the TD04L? I know that there are many variables to be considered such as altitude, temperature, humidity, etc. but in general, is 17PSI for example reasonably safe?
Old 01-27-2003, 08:27 PM

I know that some of the TD04's have been tuned at 17psi, this seems like the "max" they are tuning for. I'm guessing they are getting no additional power at higher levels (maybe decreasing power) or are running into safety issues. 17 psi would only be "safe" in my book w/ the proper engine mgt system in place and tuned by a respectable tuner.

Big Sky
Old 01-27-2003, 08:36 PM
@Stoptech

So this is a pretty vague question but how good is the stock ECU at realizing differences in boost pressures? By turning up the boost via MBC, would one be basically adding more air at any given RPM thus causing a lean condition? About how much higher than stock can you turn up the boost and still expect to have reasonable A/F ratios?
Old 01-27-2003, 09:56 PM
@Stoptech

Originally posted by andyas
We do get the same TD04L turbo and to run them at 17 - 18psi(max) it most definitly requires a good ECU/Chip tune and exhaust and aim for a 12.** AFR, but at that boost level u can see on a dyno readout how the top end really flattens out quickly due to, 2 much heat as it has to spin so much faster with the small housings it has.Also the turbo APS is talking about sounds more like a TD05 from the earlier modles i think???
This is including the previous paragraph:
The Standard TD04 turbocharger installed on the WRX is well matched to the required power output of the stock WRX. At 220 hp - 230 hp and around 13 psi of boost pressure, the TD04 is within its limits and with the potential to supply enough air to produce 280 hp.

Typical of any turbocharger, as boost pressure is increased past the point where peak air flow is produced (at around 19 psi of boost pressure), air flow, hence horsepower decreases.
I think APS would know better than to post something like that. Everybody is wrong everybody is wrong at least once though.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:08 PM
VIP Member

They are correct -- but

They are correct, the TD04L-13G can support 19 psi of boost, ( actually it can go to almost 25 psi), but only at flow rates that correspond to about 4500 rpm on a 2 liter engine (about 300 cfm).

At max volumetric flow ie about 360 CFM the turbo is hard pressed to support much more than 16-17 psi, and its effeciency is in the dumper (ie about 60%).

So technically they are correct. Most folks recommend the 16 psi range because they do not have the ability to map boost to rpm. If they did they could run higher boost at mid range rpms and taper near red line --- Hmmm that sounds familiar.

Larry
Old 01-28-2003, 09:00 AM

Re: They are correct -- but

Originally posted by hotrod
They are correct, the TD04L-13G can support 19 psi of boost, ( actually it can go to almost 25 psi), but only at flow rates that correspond to about 4500 rpm on a 2 liter engine (about 300 cfm).

At max volumetric flow ie about 360 CFM the turbo is hard pressed to support much more than 16-17 psi, and its effeciency is in the dumper (ie about 60%).

So technically they are correct. Most folks recommend the 16 psi range because they do not have the ability to map boost to rpm. If they did they could run higher boost at mid range rpms and taper near red line --- Hmmm that sounds familiar.

Larry
This is exactly what many of the ecutek tuners are doing- as they have the ability w/ the oe maps in front of them, very possible UTEC tuners (others?) can do the same- not sure.

Big Sky