Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

anyone installed a electric autometer oil press gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:48 PM

anyone installed a electric autometer oil press gauge

I am trying to install the sender. I bought the relocation kit from gruppe-s and it did not work. I used teflon paste and the tape and still leaks. Is there a way to tap into where the oil light is at and still have the OE oil light and have the sender mounted there? Also where can I buy the parts locally in the bay. thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2004, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
F the paste. Tape works the best and if you do it right you won't have to worry about getting the crap in the engine. If you don't know what your doing though stay away from the tape. I always got my gauge fittings from home depot. I haven't installed one in the rex but it's pretty cut and dry regardless of what you install it in.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:05 PM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
If you want to keep your OE oil dummy light then use the rear main oil gallery. In order to use this you will need to goto the dealer though and get the oil gallery adaptor. Its like $14. The location is pretty much right below the front left of the stock tmic. If you look directly down you will see a metal cap that needs an allen key to remove it.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ipozestu
F the paste. Tape works the best and if you do it right you won't have to worry about getting the crap in the engine. If you don't know what your doing though stay away from the tape. I always got my gauge fittings from home depot. I haven't installed one in the rex but it's pretty cut and dry regardless of what you install it in.

The problem really is in the relocation kit from gruppe-s. It is sandwiched between the filter and the housing. On the kit there are 3 threaded holes so you can install lines/senders. That is where it is leaking from. 1 from the sender and from the 2. I used paste first because the sender needs to be grounded. Then I resorted to the tape still didnt work. I am not going to use the relocation kit anymore and would like mount it somewhere. I posted this because I need some tips and tricks from you subaru guys. By the way I have a GC.

dan avon is it the driver side on the cylinder head or block. thanks
Old 11-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by flvimpreza

dan avon is it the driver side on the cylinder head or block. thanks
looking from the front of the car its slightly infront of the turbo/tmic directly down on the block. Just look for the piece that needs an allen key to unscrew it.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
What size is hole is in the block? You shuold be able to get a reducer and just screw in the sender into there. I wouldn't worry about the grounding issue with the tape. most of it pulls back off the thread as you screw it in. It seals on the out edge. I wish I had taken a look at it so I could chime in with a little bit more helpful advice.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:47 PM

I went with the fittings route. Problem is they dont have a fitting that is metric to go on the block side. I got the braided line and a reducer for the sender. went to home depot and OSH. The only suggestion they made was use a tap and die set. dan do you have pics of that. ipo, will you be at the meet tonight in sunnyvale starbucks? if you are going im there. thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 02:53 PM

If you choose to use the rear oil gallery the adapter piece you need has to be bought from the dealer. They have the right piece and most have them in stock. just give your dealer parts department a call and see if they have it. Its the rear main oil gallery adapter. You remove the block off screw w/ the alley key, screw in the adapter, screw the sender into the adapter. pretty simple.