Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

AEM or XS vs Injen

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 10:36 PM

Car Info: 03 yellow WRX stage 1
AEM or XS vs Injen

I wanna get an intake cuz i've seen many dynos of them increasin hp to about 10 or so. but i had another intake that would make my car stall in neutral while driving. why have some people had problems with some intakes and others no problem. but i wanna get the AEM or XS but i've heard problems with Injen and it looks like they're all the same. Ne1 with these PMME or post. i know many say stock is better but dynos dont lie
Old 07-06-2003, 12:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
ah hah!

Dynos are sometimes like lawyers

anyway... listen to what everyone recommends... unless you want problems

Nowadays intakes are made very sufficient, and leave little to no room for improvement... the only thing i would ask u to consider is a $50 K&N drop in filter...

CAIs are for civics that need air... your car breathes, trust me

But all in all, your car, your call! have fun!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:58 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
what intake does the STi use ?

its a stock intake right ?

intakes for the WRX are snake oil. Go spend some money on a good drop in filter for the box (K&N or a foam filter) do the resinator box mod, and you will be good to go. No need to drop $200 dollars on an intake when $50 will do for the filter, and then you can spend the extra money on mods that will make a real difference for you !
Old 07-27-2003, 12:48 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX Sedan
get an injen and hack it
Old 07-28-2003, 05:25 PM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
I bought an Injen CAI when I first bought my rex 30,000 miles ago, and just took it off last week after reading thread after thread of people saying they are worthless. I noticed the car felt a little slower the day I took it off. But after a few days of the car getting used to the stock airbox again, the car feels faster then before. The only thing that I miss is how much louder the intake makes your turbo. Its noticable. A guy in an Eclipse GSX pulled up next to me and said, "Dude, that turbo is freaking loud!." My blow off valve isnt nearly as loud either. The sound party that the intake gave me is well worth my $200 bucks. But the car does feel faster now. Speed or sound??? SPEEEEEED.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:09 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Cold air intakes are useless for the simple reason of it has to pass through the turbo. That thing gets damn hot and negates any "cold air" from going through your intake.

Any other intake unless tuned by a tuner knowledgable about subaru's will not make any power on it's own. Many intakes are the wrong size and foul the MAF readings.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by Scott@S-Squared
what intake does the STi use ?

its a stock intake right ?

intakes for the WRX are snake oil. Go spend some money on a good drop in filter for the box (K&N or a foam filter) do the resinator box mod, and you will be good to go. No need to drop $200 dollars on an intake when $50 will do for the filter, and then you can spend the extra money on mods that will make a real difference for you !

yep, you pop the hood of the 02-03 wrx and it's hard to tell the differnce in actual parts. at least that's the way i remember it.

besides the Sti stencil and red manifold of course

Edit: after posting that i finally picked up on Scott's sarcasm
Old 07-29-2003, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by nitro
I've got a Injen CAI and had no problems, plus I really like the sound of the turbo spooling up. I did notice a small loss of bottom end torque and a small gain in top end power.

that may be psychological.

no offense to you but i too had two Intakes... a Blitz SUS and a Injen CAI. I know what you're talking about in regard to the torque feel. However, i believe it justs sounds faster which makes it 'feel' faster and you actually lose performance all the way around.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:44 PM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
Cold air intakes are useless for the simple reason of it has to pass through the turbo. That thing gets damn hot and negates any "cold air" from going through your intake.
Colder air from the fender is denser and can make more power. Sucking cold air from the fender (in most cars) will make more power than sucking hot air from the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: AEM or XS vs Injen