Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Ack! smoke from my engine???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 10:47 AM

Car Info: blk 2002 wrx
Exclamation Ack! smoke from my engine???

So i was driving around yesterday for a while, and when i got home, i shut off the car, went inside for a bit... and when i came out, i noticed there was some light smoke wisping out from the engine compartment!

upon opening the hood, i noticed it seemed to be coming mostly out of the front passenger side of the engine, around where the air filter box is.

anybody have this sort of experience? it seems like a bad sign...

help!
Old 02-03-2003, 04:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Yeah you can look it up all over that other web site.

From what I can tell its either coolant or oil dripping from the turbo's hookups to those systems falling to the bottom of the turbo's heat shield.

Some people seem to get this a lot, some never, and some only sometimes. I'm in the last category, and honestly, I'm not worrying about it. I tend to think its oil at this point. It used to smell sweet to me (which would indicate that its probabaly coolant) but now it smells more like oil. I find this happens most after I drive hard and do not let the engine cool down slowly by idling (with a turbo timer, in my case). My theory is that there's a lot of pressure in these systems and due to some flaw in one or both, with all that pressure coming to an idle turbo the fluid's got no where to go but to leak at the point of least resistants: just above the bottom of your turbo's heat shield.

I must say that I don't have billows and billows... but sometimes its more than I'm comfortable with If you're still worried, get it checked out. In the mean time check your fluid levels.

jason
Old 02-03-2003, 05:49 PM

Car Info: blk 2002 wrx
its' about 6 months old...

so i guess i'll check the fluids, and have the subie guys look at it next time i bring it in. thanks!