Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

About to pull trigger on up-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 AM

Car Info: Sonic Yellow 2003 WRX
About to pull trigger on up-pipe

Hey guys, here's my situation:

I've seen a few threads where people have had cats fall apart in their stocker uppipe and damage the turbo and it has got me a bit worried (coming up on 90k with stock uppipe). So, I really feel like the first mod I should do on my bone stock 03 WRX is the uppipe.

I don't have a lot of cash (tuition and rent comes first ) so I'll be sticking to used or cheap new units. I've had my eyes on a few different ones, namely the Cobb solid uppipe and the ERZ flex uppipe. The ERZ one seems to be cheaper but seeing as it's a "ebay brand" I'm a bit weary. The only thing about the cobb one that I've seen used for like $100 (Why can't I find it new on their website?) is that it is solid and I've read that solid pipes have a higher chance to crack and leak.

So, is it Safe going with the ERZ uppipe, or is the flex material they used just as dangerous to the turbo as having a cat in there? Should I go with the solid cobb pipe and risk a crack or leak? Has anyone had a BAD experience with either of these, or any other brand that I may look at?

Disclaimer: Yes I have searched and read reviews on both of these, and from what I've read the ERZ one should be fine for me but I should use OEM gaskets instead of what ships with it. What I am looking for is any information have that I may have missed that would sway my opinion.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:58 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Just gut the uppipe, I did that to mine and haven't had any problems. It's a little time comsuming but it saves you money
Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
I had my stock up pipe for about 130k miles. I used an ebay up pipe, and it seens to work just fine. I have mo prior experience with other brands. the only issue is with the up pipe to turbo flange. The spacing on the studs is a hair to far apart on one of the holes, but a round file and 5 mins later I had myself a perfectly working/fitting up pipe. Also, the quality of the craftsmanship is exactly what you pay for. Mine is starting to rust after only 5 months. A nicely coated one wouldn't do that.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by realjoker1
Just gut the uppipe, I did that to mine and haven't had any problems. It's a little time comsuming but it saves you money
Problem is, I want a stock one for when emissions testing time comes around.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Car Info: 04 EJ207 6mt WRX, 08 Spec B
Originally Posted by Knifey
Problem is, I want a stock one for when emissions testing time comes around.
You should be fine without the uppipe cat for emissions, either keep the remaining cats in the downpipe or use a high flow cat. I passed without the uppipe cat with a "stage 2" tune and a Perring downpipe with a cat.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:05 AM

Good to hear. hmm I guess gutting it is an option for me too.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:12 PM

So, do I need a tune immediately for this mod to be safe? I see many posts saying you don't need a tune on bugeyes for exhaust mods to be safe, but I'm not sure if that applies to pre-turbo exhaust as well.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 08 RS4/03 WRX/07 FXT
get a uppipe off a sti or 06-07 wrx... they are catless
Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
if ur gonna do up install than you might as well put a dp on
Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
or get a used STi up pipe, they come catless stock as well.

As for myself, Ive got an ebay uppipe and have had no problems with it. Ive had it for almost two years now.

If you decide to gut your stock, thats not a problem with smog. Ive got my catless up and catless turbo back. When it came time to smog, i just swapped on the stock downpipe and passed just fine

And yes it is a really good idea to get a tune after you do a delete or catless. BUT the best usage of your money on a tune would be to do more than one mod, then get the tune. So you dont get a tune and pay hundredds of dollars for your uppipe, then 6 months later get exhuast and tune it, then 6 months later get headers and have to pay again to tune it ect.. So if your thinking about other major motor mods like that, try to save up and do them all at once (even if some parts sit in your garage for a few months teasing you lol). It will save you money
Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Whenever I see these threads about budget/ebay approaches to car mods, I just shake my head... every change you make to your car, be it wheels to pulleys to exhaust to turbos, greatly increases the chance of a problem in the future that will not be protected under warranty. You may think "it is just an up-pipe and a little tune, big deal" but you WILL change your driving style to be more aggressive and push the car harder so you will "feel" the money you spent. If you can't afford future repairs on the car, perhaps totaling in the multiple thousands (for a differential or transmission or clutch or struts) then you can't afford that little mod now. Go big or go home, if you spent all that money to get the car, why chip away at it nickel-and-dime until you just have a mess of eBay parts that runs like crap?

The idea that this is a "safety" mod to protect the turbo is crap; I have friends who have been Subaru tuners since 1996 and they have never seen the stock cat break down and harm the turbo; they have seen plenty of TD04s die (due to seal failure or oil leaks) with an absolutely pristine cat in the up-pipe. You're trying to justify a performance mod, but you won't feel it *at all* without an exhaust, a tune and your foot to the floor. Make a choice as to what you really want out of the car, and save up accordingly.

Last edited by meilers; 01-03-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by Knifey
The only thing about the cobb one that I've seen used for like $100 (Why can't I find it new on their website?)
I contacted Cobb a couple weeks ago about F&R sway bars for my 06 and they told me that due to the economy, they temporarily stopped providing this product. I would imagine that demand is down as people have less money to be spending on toys. Probably the same for the up pipe that you want.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
damn thats crazy
Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by DerekB707
I contacted Cobb a couple weeks ago about F&R sway bars for my 06 and they told me that due to the economy, they temporarily stopped providing this product. I would imagine that demand is down as people have less money to be spending on toys. Probably the same for the up pipe that you want.
The UP has been off of their site for a long time. I forget when, but at some point they switched from a quality manufacturer for the exhaust components to a cheaper (I think overseas) producer. Maybe they cut the UP from the lineup at that point.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 04' wrb WRX sedan
Just wait till someone in your area changes their setup. I got a perrin in really good shape from someone here on the island for $100. They bought some headers that came with an uppipe. Score! Then I got an Invidia Downpipe from someone that went rotated, $140. Score!