Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

4-2-1 or 4-1 headers/manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 08:54 PM

So how long V7 used the vf30 for? was v6 used vf30 or vf29?
Looks like subaru will let the 2004 sti come with vf34 (north america), but soon or later ..may be type RA will switch to vf35 or something better...who knows!!

Just a thought.......anyone even try to do a sti (say v7) swap to AT.......a miss of the 6 speed is a must that's for sure, but any other downside or how AT handle the vvt ....transmission problem?
Old 12-17-2002, 08:02 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I really want an equal length header for my WRX, who besides maxim works makes one?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2002, 07:06 AM

The VF30 was used on the STi 7 from its inception until 10/01. During that time, only the Spec C got the VF34.
From 10/01 onwards, all STi models got the VF34.

Now all use the new IHI twin scroll for the new chassis (I jsut got the sales/accessory brochure from STi via Fedex yesterday).

The Version 6 turbo used the VF29, Version 5 used the VF28.

As for the headers, there is something most people do not consider...in Japan, there are only a handful of actual fabricators, just like in any manufacturing arena. Most companes cannot afford the R&D, tooling, etc, and as such, simply take existing products and rebadge them through licensing agreements as their own. The header market is no exception..there are at least 5 headers I can think of that are 100% the same as other units out there...not copies, but the same actual unit fromt eh same production line.

And FYI, the largest exhaust manufacturer in Japan is Fujitsubo.....they fabricate at least one component on just about every exhaust system that coms from Japan, including all factiry and optional STi products.

of the headerrs mentioned, I know Maxxim does their own fabbing work, and are among the few. HKS does their own as well. Cusco does not make anything themselves...everything is merely a rebadged version of someone elses product, with the exception of their sway bars and strut braces. but, they do source from the best fabricators out there.

ARC is anotehr firm that does all their own fabbing, and there craftsmanship is the best out there, bar none..they define what JDM part is to coin a customer of mine (and the price reflects it!). but, they do not make headers sadly.

You cannot go wrong with Syms.....top end stuff, though there are many companies that ahve knock offs for much much cheaper,..we have one in stock right now that sells for $899.00