Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

4-2-1 or 4-1 headers/manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by GDB
Hmm.. that is strange.

I was always under the impression that low-end loss after header upgrade is in the MINORITY; most report better low-end (or perhaps more correctly, faster spool up).

My uppipe's already catless, thanks

Honestly, I think my car's quite noticably preppier than stock with zero cat in the system, but I still want to get rid as much as lag as possible.
your right
i meant the other way around, some top end power is lost....my bad
Old 12-08-2002, 09:17 PM
dwx

Yeah another guy I emailed sent me some pictures of it, unless that was you. It's basically a Syms replica. It's the same header they sold for the GC8 WRX and there are a ton of people selling a version of it for the GDA WRX, I'm not sure who the original manufacturer for the replica header is, could be RSR for all I know. The actual Syms header is very expensive and doesn't fit the US car. I had a version of the header and it didn't fit the car. A couple other vendors selling the same replica ran into the same issues and have since fixed the fitment problems. Where did you purchase the header from?
Old 12-10-2002, 08:03 AM

Syms makes an excellent product. As for the manufacturer, I know who it is (we deal with them), but am sworn to secrecy...the quality of the one we sell (there are copies of the copies too remember!) is excellent...no dyno numbers, but good gains across the board. At under $1000.00, its a good value for dollar...to pay more than that without upgrading from the VF30 would be a mistake IMHO, as your value for dollar plummets. Since you are in Japan, 2 other noteworthy units are Fujitsubo and HKS....Fujitsubo offers both 4-1, and 4-2-1. The 4-2-1 should delivery slightly better down low power, the 4-1, will ultimately give you better top end pull, assuming you ahve a turbo to flow enough air.

Adam
www.z1auto.com
Z-1 Performance
Old 12-13-2002, 04:46 AM

GDB and Adam,

What's the different between STI V7 header and MAXIM WORK header?

thks
Old 12-13-2002, 09:00 PM

Thks GDB! which means no matter what u get WRX or STI...header has to go right ...replace with equal length....ideally MAXIM or SYMS by all means....

how about the turbo in STI V7/ r they using IHI VF??? or something else......I remember some post said STI V7 some with VF30, some said VF34...??!! what about type RA and the new facelift STI???
Old 12-14-2002, 03:51 PM

JDM STi pre 10/01 used VF30, pre 10/01 Spec C used VF34.

Post 10/01 (STi's all including Spec C) use VF34

Quick Reply: 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers/manifold?