Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

2.0 - 2.5 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon,07 gsxr 600, 09 GSXR 750
i had the cnc program on my 2.0 heads from eq on my hybrid setup and loving every minute of it!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by ry's_shagnwagon
i had the cnc program on my 2.0 heads from eq on my hybrid setup and loving every minute of it!
Sweet.

Oh.. Ed.

I know the issue with getting dyno charts for every little thing. It's tough and not cost effective.

But this is a service you are offering. It's got a lot of tech behind it that most people do not understand. Seems to me that it would be worth your time to get one.

You have a dyno. You have the parts. I'm sure you have a car that could be used or a fan that would let you use one. There are a lot of hybrids out there.

Maybe offer a trade. If someone lets you use their car offer them a free tune... or the CNC service for free.

Bring a car in. Put it on the dyno. Have the heads done. Put it on the dyno.

Done.

At that point at least you will have ONE case that you can show a direct effect of the service you're offering. If indeed it is as great as much of the tech research I have read says it is... you'll have a piece of paper that will say it. Can only help. Seems like a good investment for a couple hundred bucks and a nights work.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
True. But this is a tech specific question. I was just saying thanks to a shop that saved me quite possibly $7000 just by listening to my car run.

I have no issue with that.

I just deleted a huge response. It's your call if you want to dive in to it.

up to you.
I have no beef with you and I honestly don't care that much where things get posted and/or if they get moved. I just think that if you make such a big deal about posting in the right section, you should make sure to make all your own posts in the right section as well.

-- Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 03:45 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I have no beef with you and I honestly don't care that much where things get posted and/or if they get moved. I just think that if you make such a big deal about posting in the right section, you should make sure to make all your own posts in the right section as well.

-- Ed
Probably right. But then again... I'm an *******.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:53 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Sweet.

Oh.. Ed.

I know the issue with getting dyno charts for every little thing. It's tough and not cost effective.

But this is a service you are offering. It's got a lot of tech behind it that most people do not understand. Seems to me that it would be worth your time to get one.

You have a dyno. You have the parts. I'm sure you have a car that could be used or a fan that would let you use one. There are a lot of hybrids out there.

Maybe offer a trade. If someone lets you use their car offer them a free tune... or the CNC service for free.

Bring a car in. Put it on the dyno. Have the heads done. Put it on the dyno.

Done.

At that point at least you will have ONE case that you can show a direct effect of the service you're offering. If indeed it is as great as much of the tech research I have read says it is... you'll have a piece of paper that will say it. Can only help. Seems like a good investment for a couple hundred bucks and a nights work.
I understand your wanting for that comparison as I want to see it as well. The reality is, however, its not that simple at all. To accomplish what you're asking, we need to have a built and tuned hybrid car to start with. We then need to pull the motor out, pull the heads off, disassemble the heads, do the CNC machining, re-assemble the heads, re-assemble the longblock, re-install the engine, go through some break-in period, then re-tune the car without making any other changes to the setup.

That's a lot of time and money that I personally can't afford and wouldn't expect a customer to want to spend either. Luckily, however, we do have a customer car right now that will be doing this. We built his hybrid when we first opened the shop and used thicker head gaskets to bring the CR down. He has now opted to go through with the CNC work without changing anything else on the setup. This will give us a great before/after comparison and I'll definitely be posting the results. You do have to remember, however, that even this comparison will not be perfect. The tunes will be done during different parts of the year, in different weather conditions which can skew things a bit. It should still, however, show a clear trend.

Honestly, the idea itself is very simple and most people should be able to understand it. Simply put, we are trying to replicate a complete STI engine... that's the end goal. With this in mind, we modeled our program using a stock STI head to simply replicate the stock STI combustion chamber in each head. The end result is an engine that performs very similarly to a complete EJ257. Pretty simple overall... the only tricks were in the actual execution.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
General Pimpin'

I'll be looking forward to those dyno charts. At least that will be a close comparison.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
BS is just that I find it interesting what gets moved and what doesn't. The tech forums on i-club are a joke. They're so dead. Threads like this have the potential to help. Their was that big stink last year about putting ALL threads like this in the proper place so that other places besides the BAIC would see some attention. Then nothing happens. Not regularly anyways.

I absolutely HATE nasioc. It's slow. It's clunky. It always goes down. Bunch of douche bags, etc. But their tech sections are active and if I have tech research to do, that's where I go. I'd like to see i-club be more useful. And their classifieds are HUGE... but that's just member base.

i-club at this point should just be called the bay area and sometime socal social club.
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I definitely agree with all this! It would be nice to see the tech sections on i-club getting more use.

-- Ed
agreed!!!!

but dont forget hawaii
The bad thing is a majority of i-club peeps are not that knowledgeable

Last edited by sigma pi; 02-15-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Word... word. Hawaii definitely has had it's.... ummm. moments.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Word... word. Hawaii definitely has had it's.... ummm. moments.
+1 I do miss the is2scoobys pleasure and pain forum

WTF where are the BARF mods!!!??!?!? Move the thread.
It has been determined that I dont make the waves in here and move threads.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
You have no clue... and have not been around long enough to truly have one.

And I was not e-raging at all. You want to see an e-rage I can certainly bring one. Ask anyone that's been around. I was just making a point.

Hell.. if I can't vent a little here then where. Maybe I should go tweet about it.

Troll bait, wont bite. Create another thread and vent all you want.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Troll bait, wont bite. Create another thread and vent all you want.
I already have one....