Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

2.0 - 2.5 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
The shape of the top of the piston mainly has to do with valve clearance and compression ratio. The other factor is quench area which helps produce a more efficient burn.

-- Ed
Aha, makes sense... The quench area thing I mean. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:17 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I don't understand why even stick with 2.0 heads if you're gonna spend $750 to have them rebuilt and another $400 for chamber matching. Plus shipping handling and down time. Just buy a long block.

Eds method is one of several options. I still haven't seen a dyno chart from the SAME car with and without the heads.

It used to be a major issue with hybrid builds but with new piston designs and what not, there seems to be a lot of hybrid cars doing fine.

Beyond that.. this is the baic. There are plenty if places to read about this stuff in engine tech here and nasioc. And plenty of places to reads eds ads. The baic is one place I'd like to be able to avoid this stuff. Do mods... why is this still here?

If you want to support your local vendors you can ask these questions direct in the vendor forums and in the tech forums.

And yes, I'm in a very bad mood.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

Beyond that.. this is the baic.
The baic is one place I'd like to be able to avoid this stuff. Do mods... why is this still here?

If you want to support your local vendors you can ask these questions direct in the vendor forums and in the tech forums.
I agree with this.

And why dont we move it? Because some one always cries when we do.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
How does the custom piston or thicker gasket solve the issue of having the edges of the combustion chamber protruding into the bore?
Neither option addresses this issue. But as a tuner, you know that.
These are options that have been successfully used by many shops when building hybrids.

I'm not quite sure what that video is showing either. Looks like it's just opening the outer bore, but not reshaping the chamber at all to match the larger bore. You need a CNC machine for that.

-- Ed
Well, I can only speculate that further machining is performed by Larry's Auto Machine.
Scroll to the bottom of the page...fourth item from the bottom.
If you require further information, contact Mike @ 1-860-449-9112.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Thanks for the info, move the thread if you want.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 02-14-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Neither option addresses this issue. But as a tuner, you know that.
These are options that have been successfully used by many shops when building hybrids.

Well, I can only speculate that further machining is performed by Larry's Auto Machine.
Yeah. It looks like it's getting rounded off. Which has a LOT of supporters. Probably more than chamber matching. If I don't buy your long block it's probably the route I will go. Custom pistons and rounded edges.

Don't forget... keep me posted on that long block. I'm in no hurry but money finds ways of vanishing these days. LOL.

Just trying to figure out what else I'll need. My reading tells me there is a way to keep my stock ecu and wiring harness but I want it to be clean/bared and smogged.

so yeah... move this! i-club's tech section could use some life. Friggin no fly zone over there.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:31 PM
General Pimpin'

bs...
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
bs...
Why so cranky? And what's this bs you're talking about?

-- Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

I don't understand why even stick with 2.0 heads if you're gonna spend $750 to have them rebuilt and another $400 for chamber matching. Plus shipping handling and down time. Just buy a long block.
Because most of these people have 2.0 heads and if they want to go with STI heads, they need to purchase the castings, have them built, and also purchase all the AVCS hardware to go with them. It ends up being MUCH more expensive.

Eds method is one of several options. I still haven't seen a dyno chart from the SAME car with and without the heads.
Sure, we haven't had a customer who has switched nothing but the heads yet... for obvious reasons. This is the same reason you almost never see back to back cam comparisons. We do actually have one in the shop right now, however, so I'll post those results once this build is broken in and tuned.

It used to be a major issue with hybrid builds but with new piston designs and what not, there seems to be a lot of hybrid cars doing fine.
The custom piston route is nothing new and most tuners have had plenty of experience with them. While they run a bit better than thicker head gaskets, they do still leave a lot to be desired in terms of consistency under hard use. There are also shops who "de-shroud" the combustion chamber edges by hand. This helps a lot as it gets rid of the sharp edges that contribute to knock. We decided to do things a bit more precisely using a CNC machine. This helps us keep each set of heads and each combustion chamber nearly identical, which of course helps keep the results and performance consistent as well. This is not a new idea, just a different way of executing it. FWIW, Tomei seems to have a similar approach.

Beyond that.. this is the baic. There are plenty if places to read about this stuff in engine tech here and nasioc. And plenty of places to reads eds ads. The baic is one place I'd like to be able to avoid this stuff. Do mods... why is this still here?

And yes, I'm in a very bad mood.
I do agree with you that the tech section would be more appropriate for this question. But I find it funny that you only decided to state this after I explained our approach specifically. Its also funny to hear this from someone who just last week posted a review of their favorite shop in the BAIC section instead of the designated review section. Lets try to keep things a bit less biased when someone asks an honest question.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
General Pimpin'

Why so cranky? And what's this bs you're talking about?

-- Ed
Not as cranky today as I was yesterday.

Was one of those days yesterday. I got so pissed off I started throwing dirty diapers all over the place. Ahhhhhh. Crap. I left the damn bag by the door when I left today. Oops.

BS is just that I find it interesting what gets moved and what doesn't. The tech forums on i-club are a joke. They're so dead. Threads like this have the potential to help. Their was that big stink last year about putting ALL threads like this in the proper place so that other places besides the BAIC would see some attention. Then nothing happens. Not regularly anyways.

I absolutely HATE nasioc. It's slow. It's clunky. It always goes down. Bunch of douche bags, etc. But their tech sections are active and if I have tech research to do, that's where I go. I'd like to see i-club be more useful. And their classifieds are HUGE... but that's just member base.

i-club at this point should just be called the bay area and sometime socal social club.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:13 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

Cool... I've never heard of "Larry's Auto Machine". It looks like they had a similar idea but used different tools to execute it. Since you say you're speculating, I assume you have not used their services or seen the final product? Have you even spoken to them? Or is this just a result of a google search?

-- Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Not as cranky today as I was yesterday.

Was one of those days yesterday. I got so pissed off I started throwing dirty diapers all over the place. Ahhhhhh. Crap. I left the damn bag by the door when I left today. Oops.

BS is just that I find it interesting what gets moved and what doesn't. The tech forums on i-club are a joke. They're so dead. Threads like this have the potential to help. Their was that big stink last year about putting ALL threads like this in the proper place so that other places besides the BAIC would see some attention. Then nothing happens. Not regularly anyways.

I absolutely HATE nasioc. It's slow. It's clunky. It always goes down. Bunch of douche bags, etc. But their tech sections are active and if I have tech research to do, that's where I go. I'd like to see i-club be more useful. And their classifieds are HUGE... but that's just member base.

i-club at this point should just be called the bay area and sometime socal social club.
I definitely agree with all this! It would be nice to see the tech sections on i-club getting more use.

-- Ed
Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
lol this is great watching you e-rage over something so miniscule that happens on a daily basis on baic.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM
General Pimpin'

I do agree with you that the tech section would be more appropriate for this question. But I find it funny that you only decided to state this after I explained our approach specifically. Its also funny to hear this from someone who just last week posted a review of their favorite shop in the BAIC section instead of the designated review section. Lets try to keep things a bit less biased when someone asks an honest question.

Thanks
-- Ed
True. But this is a tech specific question. I was just saying thanks to a shop that saved me quite possibly $7000 just by listening to my car run.

I have no issue with that.

I just deleted a huge response. It's your call if you want to dive in to it.

up to you.

Last edited by OneManArmy; 02-15-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
lol this is great watching you e-rage over something so miniscule that happens on a daily basis on baic.
You have no clue... and have not been around long enough to truly have one.

And I was not e-raging at all. You want to see an e-rage I can certainly bring one. Ask anyone that's been around. I was just making a point.

Hell.. if I can't vent a little here then where. Maybe I should go tweet about it.

Quick Reply: 2.0 - 2.5 swap