Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

04 wrx ques.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 01:12 PM

reflash your ECU. go to cobb tuning, vishnu or ecutek. trust me, you won't regret it. don't waste your money on boost controllers. go with something reliable and worth your money.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:33 PM

yes. what you have is target boost levels, which is the basically the max boost level that the ECU is programmed for. however, the target boost is reached usually after the ECU has fully learned the new map or it's ignition advance multiplier, which may take from a few weeks to a month to reach after the ECU has been reset. the ignition advance mult. will also increase on how aggressively you drive daily. there's a trick that you can do, search for "ignition advance multiplier" and something by Vishnu tuning should pop up.

the thing about the stock turbo, it reaches it's compressor efficiency range at about 16 psi. so what this means that after this range, you're basically shortening it's lifespan and will need a rebuild very soon. so with a reflash, boost is raised, ignition is more advanced, and a/f ratios are leaner. what a reflash is doing is basically giving you a much more aggressive map.

you could opt for a boost controller, however, it doesn't really give you the most for your money. and you can overboost which is really bad, if you're not careful.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:37 PM

imagine this. the feel of your car just accelerating out of every gear. the best feel is from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. man, this thing just pulls and keeps pulling. i guarantee that it'll make your eyes go WOW! and that's just the stage 1 upgrade. stage 2 just gets much better. also, low end response is improved. i have the access ecu stage 2 (requires a turboback exhaust). let me tell you, i can hardly feel the lag that's present in stock form. just imagine the acceleration out of the turn with much more torque response. hope this helps.