Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

04 wrx max boost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 07:42 PM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
I would suggest no more than 16 psi on a stock motor the turbo starts to be inefficient at more than that without a larger intercooler. (blows hot air)

No reason to change the wastegate because it is integrated into the turbo. Most electronic boost controllers require cutting into the ecu wires so I would suggest a manual one if you plan on turning it back to stock for warranty. The turbo timer is nice but also requires hacking into the stock wires for installation. Most of the dealers I have spoken with frown upon tapped wires.

I personally liked the wrx because it is more of an all around car such as handling, saftey and just fun to drive.

The srt and the WRX both respond well to mods but if you are into just drag the srt-4 would be the way to go. AWD adds alot of drivetrain loss and weight.

Depends on what you into good luck on your decision

-skooter
Old 01-21-2004, 09:07 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
im going to get flammed for this but...

the WRX out handles the SRT easily. Not to mention it has a higher sex appeal. i'm in HS.. that's all that matters. haha. that's why i got mine.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:53 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
I chose the WRX, but everytime I see one of those damned Neons I get pissed. Need more mods, then I won't mind. Ask yourself this; How long do I plan on owning this car? If it is more than 3 years I wouldn't buy the Neon.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
I would deffinetly go for the WRX it's safer, handles well even in the rain, and plus you don't have to worry about it breaking down on you, Subaru is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better quality than dodge. I would take the quality of the build into consideration.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally posted by theworx
I chose the WRX, but everytime I see one of those damned Neons I get pissed. Need more mods, then I won't mind. Ask yourself this; How long do I plan on owning this car? If it is more than 3 years I wouldn't buy the Neon.
Man I know what you mean. I saw a red one just the other day. I was in my truck but i wish i would have been driving the rex. This guy was driving like an a**hole too. It was like he owned the road. I would not been able to beat him but i could have scared him. I think that the srt-4 is kinda cool and that's why i hate it soooooo much. I'd still rather have my wrx it is more comfortable and it's not a NEON!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:26 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Re: 04 wrx max boost?

Originally posted by SloshSparky
I am going to be buying a wrx or a srt-4 leaning more twords the wrx. you can feel free to coment to which one I should buy and why. i am trying to get all the info I can about WRX's before I make my choice. Every time I find something new out about them I lean more twords them. WHat I want to know is, What is the boost factory, Then what is the max I could pull out of the stock set up with out damaging anything. I am going to add Greddy exhaust cat back, blitz or greddy turbo timer, greddy digital boost controller, or turbox manual boost controler, turbox blow off valve, intake, and maybe a differant waste gate, not sure about that though any ideas about the waste gate if needed or is a waste for now. with all this what is the maxboost I could run with out causing any damage. I have heard 17 psi. I dont want to do a whole lot to the motor because of the warrenty. at leaste with this stuff I can take it back off and put factory back on. Thanks for the help
It sounds like you've already got the WRX. All those mods Go with the subbie tou will not be dissappointed