Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

suby newbie. mass air flow question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
suby newbie. mass air flow question

i just bought an 03 wrx yesterday, it had a cold air intake on it and i took the air filter off cleaned it, now the car wont start. what the hel is wrong?
i have a pretty sweet civic i turbod and know a good deal about cars, im new to the suby sence and have no clue why this car wont run anymore.
it starts then shuts right off, i got two codes from the comp, p0102 and p0113
both related to i believe the mass air flow sensor.

i have no experience with MAF sensor(honda doesnt use them) would a bad MAF cause the car to not run? do they just go bad or is it something i did to the sensor i dont know about

is there any way to test the sensor and or fix it(ie: blowing it out with an air hose or something?)

any help on my second day as a wrx owner would be great
Old 02-08-2006, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Generally as a rule of thumb, not many have had much luck with the CAI. Stock box and a panel filter is best. Did you over oil the filter? What I would try to do, if you want to retain the CAI, remove the filter blot the excess oil off with a paper towel, get some no residue, O2 sensor safe electric contact cleaner and spray the elements of the MAF clean, let it dry, diconnect your battery to reset your ECU. Reconnect everything and fire it up. There is a good chance you over oiled the filter and contaminated the elements in the MAF.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
mass air flow

no i dont want to keep the CAI, just moved the filter right in front of the maf.
so they can be cleaned, its not like an 02 sensor? i tryed to start the car with out the filter as well but i guess if it was contaminated on the first try that wouldnt matter
Old 02-10-2006, 06:33 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
I would just put the stock box back on, keep the air silencer off buy a K&N filter and a Samco intake charge pipe and return the CAI.