Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

safe to run up, dp, and cbe without a cobb ap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:23 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
sounds like a freakish coincidence to me, Mike did some work on my car as well as a couple friend's cars, all have done fine without any tune whatsoever. So you haven't had a car for -11 months huh?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 PM

Car Info: wrx
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Funny; Mike is the one that dianosed my rod knock and said I can't believe that happened with those mods.
What I am saying is; I was told that I could run those mods without a tune by many folks. On an '05 Wagon with 27K, I'm stuck with a blown motor. Here I sit without a car since 12/15/06. I had a APS 3" TBE, PDE uppipe, and Gruppe-s V2 manifold (installed appx 500 mile before failure).

maybe it wasnt the mods that caused that problem. thats probably why mike was surprised that the boltons blew your motor.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:03 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
maybe it wasn't even the bolt ons...what part blew? lemme guess...piston 2?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:34 PM

hmmmm.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
-11 months huh?
Gimme a break I just got used to writing '06 LOL
Haven't read the report yet on the findings. I am going to ship the motor out to AMSOIL upon pickup. Hopefully I can get some warranty coverage from them. All thing aside. The delay on the logic change in the ECU is really bad. Have the car tuned. Get an Accessport protune and switch it back to stock for Subaru's sake. Knowing that there is a factory blip that runs your car into lean condition under boost is a really crappy thing.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Gimme a break I just got used to writing '06 LOL
Haven't read the report yet on the findings. I am going to ship the motor out to AMSOIL upon pickup. Hopefully I can get some warranty coverage from them. All thing aside. The delay on the logic change in the ECU is really bad. Have the car tuned. Get an Accessport protune and switch it back to stock for Subaru's sake. Knowing that there is a factory blip that runs your car into lean condition under boost is a really crappy thing.
considering it works well under stock conditions, its not a bad thing.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by projectwrx
considering it works well under stock conditions, its not a bad thing.
That's the point I am making it doesn't work well under stock conditions. If you are running lean during boost condition that is not good. Every WRX runs with this problem.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
are you saying this from experience?

Yes, I was saying this from personal experience, although I have an 03, and apparently they react differently to untuned mods than the 04+ models do. Personally, running a car untuned IMO, is NOT good any way you look at it.....if you are gonna modify your car, dont half *** it, do things right the first time around....if you cant afford to do it all at once......save your money until you can. Thats why I have been waiting nearly a YEAR to install my turbo and supporting mods....because running a car untuned is bad practice, whether someone says its ok or not. Its like running around with your shoes untied......yea, you may be ok, and not trip on your face.....but if you leave them untied long enough, its just a matter of time before you DO trip and fall on your face.

-Ted

Moral of the story, you would probably be ok, if you only ran untuned for a very SHORT amount of time....but I would get that puppy a good tune ASAP.

Last edited by GotBoost?; 01-17-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

Good analogy Ted. That's what I have been saying.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:21 PM

of course its wise not to half *** it, but if its safe running the boltons without a tune, then why not? for an extra 10+ hp and a little bit more piece of mind? =P
Old 01-17-2006, 07:58 PM
VIP Member

Your not getting it, are you? I give up. Maybe later you can trade in your piece of mind for a piece of your motor.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 PM

Your not getting it, are you? I give up. Maybe later you can trade in your piece of mind for a piece of your motor.

i get it, but i keep getting facts about the open/closed loop feature but no hard experience that would otherwise prove that point.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
of course its wise not to half *** it, but if its safe running the boltons without a tune, then why not? for an extra 10+ hp and a little bit more piece of mind? =P

errrr....thats EXACTLY what I meant by half assing it.....installing/removing parts (that will affect how your engine runs), and NOT getting your car tuned afterwards is begging for problems. Like I said, if you installed your parts and had to drive a SHORT distance to the tuner's shop, or even driving it conservatively for a couple days untuned you should be ok......but leaving your car untuned for any length of time, and driving it that way on a daily basis will yield very strange behavior from your car that could very possibly cause less than favorable results (blown motor, worst case). Not to mention that it will run like crap, smell like gas (running rich) for like 20 yards in every direction around your car, will backfire alot, and will probably want to die on you nearly every time you pull up to a stoplight or sign.

These cars are NOT like American Muscle cars, where you can bolt on an exhaust system, or a new intake and drive away with 15 more horsepower....sure doing that to your suby MAY yield +5 or so hp......but if you get it tuned for the same parts, you could easily gain an extra 25-40WHP. If thats not enough incentive, then when I say that I learned this from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE when I installed a larger intercooler on my car, that should tell you I'm not blowing smoke up your ****, I really am telling you what I EXPERIENCED. BTW, I ended up taking the above mentioned intercooler OFF of the car about 3 days after I installed it, because my car did exactly what I just told you about, I swear I didnt make it up.

and if you STILL dont believe me.....believe Jeff (Ipozestu), here, lemme quote him......
Originally Posted by Ipozestu
Funny; Mike is the one that dianosed my rod knock and said I can't believe that happened with those mods.
What I am saying is; I was told that I could run those mods without a tune by many folks. On an '05 Wagon with 27K, I'm stuck with a blown motor. Here I sit without a car since 12/15/06. I had a APS 3" TBE, PDE uppipe, and Gruppe-s V2 manifold (installed appx 500 mile before failure).
I'll also quote Subie OCD...
Originally Posted by Subie OCD
yeah, I forgot that the 04 & 05 wrx's should be tuned with those mods. like ipozestu says, the blip can cause pinging which isnt good. the 02 and 03's dont really have that issue
My 2¢, if you are really that hard up for some cash.....hock your XboX or PS2, or bike/snowboard or something (if you have aftermarket rims, sell your stockers). DONT start taking vital parts off of your car, unless you really wanna risk blowing it up....but thats your call, a very expensive call.

Also, an Access Port is not the only way to tune the car, if you sold your AP, you could always go get an ECUTek tune.....it would do the job just fine. OK, I'm done.....good luck.
Attached Thumbnails safe to run up, dp, and cbe without a cobb ap?-nihilists-fire.jpg  
Old 01-18-2006, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
it wont hurt anything, just will run rich
Old 01-18-2006, 06:38 PM
VIP Member

project, insert http:// into the beginning of this URL and read. If you have questions ask.
forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671294

Quick Reply: safe to run up, dp, and cbe without a cobb ap?