Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 05 CGM Wrx Wagon
Rough Idle

A little over a week ago I started on my uppipe install (gutted OEM), finally got the thing in after having to yank the turbo because of a stripped engine mount nut.... Anyways, finally got it done and since I had the car apart I ordered an Invidia g200 exhaust and helix catted downpipe as well as an Accessport. Got it all installed, car actually started (I was surprised after all the other problems I had ) but its got a somewhat rough idle now. Engine RPMS dont seem to fluctuate much, at least on the guage, but you can audiably hear the engine idle fluctuating. According to the accessport, the boost is floating between about -6.5 and -8.5 lbs of boost. Im going to take it in for an oil change since break in miles are done (1250miles on the car right now). Beyond this, does anyone have any other ideas what could be causing the problems?

Car is an 05 WRX Wagon, AP Stage 2 93 octane map.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Car Info: BMW 335i/ E90
My car does the same thing. I think is because of the ECU learning the new maps, but it seems to get better with time..
Old 09-29-2005, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX
well if your thinking about taking your car into the dealership for an oil change.. STOP.. take off all of your mods before you go in because subaru is a ***** when it comes to modding your car and voiding out your warranty!! as for the ruff idles.. when i installed my up/downpipe on my car along with a cat back.. my idle turned into extremely ruff, and then when i went to put all my stock parts back on for smog time, the idle was smooth again.. so im guesing just the fact that your deleting at least two cats in your set up... your engine is able to breathe better thus idleing alot stronger.. and as the guage goes, the stock subaru guages at leats on the wrx's arent as touchy as others, if you notice, when you step on the gas in nuetral, the needle stays for a slight moment before moving, and if you turn on your AC when your idleing and then turn it off, i have noticed that the needles takes a lil to go up and down the rpm spectrum.. so i mean i wouldnt eb too worried about it unless you notice any other problems...
Old 09-29-2005, 05:21 PM

Appreciate the info guys. Not planning on taking the car to a dealership for a oil change, the closest dealership is an hour and a half away
Old 10-05-2005, 01:01 PM

Car Info: WREX
Originally Posted by norcalridin
well if your thinking about taking your car into the dealership for an oil change.. STOP.. take off all of your mods before you go in because subaru is a ***** when it comes to modding your car and voiding out your warranty!! as for the ruff idles.. when i installed my up/downpipe on my car along with a cat back.. my idle turned into extremely ruff, and then when i went to put all my stock parts back on for smog time, the idle was smooth again.. so im guesing just the fact that your deleting at least two cats in your set up... your engine is able to breathe better thus idleing alot stronger.. and as the guage goes, the stock subaru guages at leats on the wrx's arent as touchy as others, if you notice, when you step on the gas in nuetral, the needle stays for a slight moment before moving, and if you turn on your AC when your idleing and then turn it off, i have noticed that the needles takes a lil to go up and down the rpm spectrum.. so i mean i wouldnt eb too worried about it unless you notice any other problems...
Strange......I added the same mods you just mentioned, and I do not have an extremely ruff idle.

I would say go back over the parts and make sure all the bolts are tight, all the sensors are secured in place, make sure you used the correct (2.2k ohm resistor) in the uppipe connector plug.

What mods is your Accessport set-up for?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:07 PM

The idle isnt real rough, and the rpms, according to the gauge, dont move but I can hear the engine stumble just a little bit. Its not close to stalling or anything like that, but Im unfortunately a perfectionist. Im not going to worry about it for now(unless I find something I did glaringly wrong with the install), and when I get a vf34 Im going to drive out to NC and get a protune done and hopefully that will take care of the problem.

Accessport is running stage 2 93 octane.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:34 PM

Car Info: WREX
Did you get the Accessport brand new? Or was it a second-hand purchase? If it's not too much trouble, try disconnecting the Accessport to see if that changes anything.....

I do not have an Accessport, so, I do not really know how it would make a difference in the idling.