Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

remapping ecu? noobie question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:50 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX
remaping ecu? noobie question...

is it possible to remap the stock ecu on an 05" wrx? if not what is a good aftermarket ecu to buy? i also heard about this term called re-flashing the ecu...what does that mean? cause i did install aftermarket parts.

thanks-justin
Old 02-12-2006, 06:52 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Works13
is it possible to remap the stock ecu on an 05" wrx?
Yes.
Origami posted by Works13
i also heard about this term called re-flashing the ecu...what does that mean?
Remapping of ECU can be done in one of two ways. The most common is to connect a device temporarily to the ECU by way of OBD-II port and change the engine performance parameters from the factory settings. The second way is to connect a 'piggyback' device to the ECU which intercepts and interprets the signals and then substitutes a modified signal to the factory ECU. A standalone engine management system can also be used but isn't necessary for most street-driven vehicles. Standalone engine management will also not pass OBD-II-type smog checks.

At the current time, the Cobb Tuning AccessPORT is the most popular engine management for the factory turbocharged Subaru. The EcuTek reflashing tools are still very much a good alternative but isn't as versatile to the end customer as the Cobb AccessPORT. One system does not 'make' more power than the other - in the hands of a competent tuner, either system should result in comparable power. The advantage of the AccessPORT is the ability to store additional maps that can be switched very quickly in the car.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-13-2006, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 05' WRX
i see, so you can use the stock ecu, but you have to get it remaped. do you know if gruppe-s does that?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 PM

Gruppe-S can reflash an ECU using EcuTek or Cobb AccessPORT. They also do custom dyno tuning. Give them a call or visit the Gruppe-S forum on i-Club.

--
0==WW==0
Old 02-14-2006, 04:36 PM

I'm glad i ran into this thread... i'm in the process of buying either an evo or sti and i've been researching which car responds better to reflashing and how/where to get it done. What shops in CA do these? Also, where do u get the EcuTek and Cobb AccessPORT and do they come tuned like some of the mail in Evo ecu's or do you still have to bring it somewhere to get it done?

Last edited by PANGES; 02-14-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:01 PM

Some shops offer mail order EcuTek reflashes - Vishnu Performance comes to mind. Vishnu also has an in-shop Dyno Dynamics AWD dynamometer for custom tuning for the Evo (another type of reflashing tool) or WRX/STi.

The Cobb AccessPORT has base maps that can be used but the AccessPORT can also be custom tuned for even more power. In California, DB Tuned, EQ Tuning, Gruppe-S, and Fine Line Imports can perform custom dyno tuning on a Mustang AWD dynamometer for your Subaru (I hope I haven't omitted any i-Club vendors/tuners ).

--
0==WW==0