Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Questions about UTEC boost levels

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 12:18 AM

Question Questions about UTEC boost levels

Hello all. Today I got my WRX back from the installation work I had done. I already had a GFB BOV, a unifilter CAI and a hood scoop...oh and the OEM boost gauge. Oh yeah and its a 4EAT 2002 model with 9000 miles on it. I also had Greddy EGT and A/F gauges installed. The EGT works great....the A/F...will thats a nightmare really....that could be another post. Anyone ever work with one?

Ok so today I had a Greddy evo catback installed (love it), an up-pipe and the turboxs UTEC stage I. The car drives well and the boost comes on earlier. That seems to be the biggest thing I notice...pre-boost the car is quicker. Before the UTEC in a second gear pull at WOT the boost guage would read about .095 MPa. I was expecting to see at least .1 or .105 with the UTEC. It seems I'm reading less than I was before! I thought that maybe it was because the max boost was at 4000 rpm so I missed the gauge reading. Then I read about the ABC in the manual. I don't know if the subaru tech did anything with it. Should I open it a turn? The car runs great, but it doesn't feel THAT much faster. I mean not like 45 horse power faster. But then again I've never had a car as fast as a WRX, or added parts to a car either. Just wondering if anyone can help me out. Thanks and I look forward to your input.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Are you open or closed loop boost?
Old 05-14-2003, 09:19 AM

I'm not sure. How do I tell if I'm running open or closed loop? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Have you read the manual? The settings are in your parameters.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:16 PM

Yes I've read some of the manual that where I realized things might need to be adjusted. The boost levels for stage 1 are
4000 rpm-----16.1psi (I'm not reading even close on the gauge)
5500 rpm-----15 psi
6000 rpm-----12.5 psi
7000 rpm-----12 psi

Today I hit like .095 in second. Ok since the manual says "open loop boost control" is the default mode I would assume I'm in that mode. Also I was looking for the ABC under the hood, I found it tie wrapped to a hose. I'm assuming the silver piece that says turboxs is the ABC. I'm also going by the picture in the manual. How do you adjust the ABC. I was looking at it...with an allen wrench? Errr 2mm HEX key? The manual really doesn't mention it. Hopefully this info help.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

In the 'special constants' section in the parameters, you can select 0 or 1 for open or closed.

Have you calibrated your throttle position sensor?

For someone, like myself, who didn't know anything at all about 'tuning yourself', the manual was hard to get to understand, so it will take some research and experimenting. In some cases, it tells you how to adjust parameters and settings, but it doesn't tell you why it's important. Those priorities are why you should scour the internet, i-club, nasioc, and wrxhackers for how-to information.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:50 AM

The abc was closed all the way to the right. According to the installer it should have been set to the proper position, but was not. I have been making small adjustments using the hex key...turning it to the left. I'm almost up to .1 now...stock boost. the car keeps driving better. It even idles better. We'll see how it goes.

Also what is a good range for EGT? What would be a good warning value? thanks again
Old 05-15-2003, 04:52 AM

Oh...whats a throttle sensor? I haven't worked with it yet. I don't have anything hooked up to the UTEC. I was thinking of getting one of those pda things.

Quick Reply: Questions about UTEC boost levels