Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Question on new WRX drivability

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 06:47 PM

it would be good to get a boost gauge, just so you can see what exactly is happening with the boost. also, an EGT gauge would be good also. these won't void warranty and are good monitoring tools for turbo'd cars. that way, you can see what exactly is happening and what is causing the "hesitation" or your description of it. right now, it could be a number of things. the ECU could be pulling timing a bit, as it is very finicky. i think that when cobbtuning or vishnu come out with a '04 WRX ECU reflash, i suggest you get it. it's the best mod you can do to a stock WRX, with the exception of freeing up the exhaust flow. the stock WRX as i remember was way way restrictive. with simple bolt-on modifications, driving will be much more enjoyable. i warn you, once you start, you can't stop.

another thing, it could be the wastegate regulating boost pressure as you still have all three cats in. as the stock boost controller is like a bleed valve, so it's letting off boost to keep from overboosting. it's normal in a stock car. just learn to drive around it and start modifying that BAD BOY. have fun.

Last edited by clamdip; 07-22-2003 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:19 PM

it could be the plugs or a misfire happening. i've heard some cases of this. you may want to go check it out at the dealer, have it serviced, then get a reflash stg 1, turboback, reflash stg 2, then on and on, until you have a beast just waiting to be unleashed. good luck and have fun.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:58 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRB Wagon
My MY03 wagon had the same hesitation problem when I got it. What fixed it was an improvement to the grounding system.

The theory, in a nutshell, is that the ECU needs VERY accurate voltage readings from the MAP snsor, O2 sensor, etc. to perform at its peak. The conventional wisdom seems to be that the stock grounding setup has enough resistance that voltages are sometimes attenuated before they reach the ECU.

Now this may or may not be true, but it seemed plausible to me, and acting upon it removed the symptoms you describe from my car.

There are other plausible theories, but I'm not a pro typist.

Anyway, the commercial "grounding mod" packages seemed like overkill to me. I changed the battery terminals and added 3 or 4 ground straps which together linked the battery to the intake manifold, engine block, and then to the firewall very near the ECU.

I don't know if all of these were necessary, I'm just reporting what worked for me.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:38 PM

My car runs MUCH stronger on 93-94 octane than on 91. It makes a big difference between 2000-3500 rpm.

I was buying 100 octane Unocal at first, but it didn't take long before I started looking for more convenience and lower cost.

A net search and a bunch of reading led me to start adding toluene and/or xylene to my oxyegenated 91.

They are 114 and 116 octane respectively, IIRC, and are available at finer paint stores nationwide. Xylene is available at home depot in socal. You don't need both, either one will do.

For me, toluene is preferable, as it's already a component of gasoline, and it's less toxic.

I use a gallon with every fill-up. I find myself filling up at 3/8 of a tank just so the octane ends up higher. I like to end up around 93.5 - 94, but even 92 is an improvement you can feel.

The calculation is straight arithmetic:

(gallons of gas* 91) + (gal. of tol. * 114) = "combined octane"

"combined octane" ÷ total gallons = average octane.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:43 PM

And BTW, if you buy more 100 octane, mix it 50/50 with 91.

Our ECU's are only mapped for fuel up to 95 octane. Anything higher isn't going to improve performance over 95.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:59 PM

It's mostly a reference to my dirt bike, a Honda CR500R. When I started using that nym, I had just got back from go-kart racing classes in 2-stroke karts, I was doing a lot of work on my 2-stroke bike, and everybody and their brother was raving about all the torque these new 4-stroke YZF426/CRF450 dirtbikes had.

So does anybody ever want to ride one of those torque monsters and race a CR500 on a big open track? I didn't think so.

But then, I don't do any supercross, either.

My real name is Steve. email is: 2-stroke@my_ISP.net, in which my_isp is earthlink.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:27 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
I am experiencing the same bucking problems in my 04. Feels like misfire to me. I don't think it is the gas, I live in Ohio and normally fill it up with Mobile 93 octane. I used to only use Sunoco 94 in my Talon, haven't tried it in the Rex. I am going to try resetting the ecu tonight to see if that helps. I also have installed a MBC and have it tuned to a little under 16 psi, however it does not run consistant boost. It normally falls off a little in 2nd gear, 3rd and so on. I never holds at 16. It almost seems like there is a boost leak, but it will not drop below 13 psi. I have the line to the BOV T'ed which runs to the source plug for the MBC, then the other side of the MBC to the wastegate. This is different than I would have done it on my Talon, but this way was recomended. Anyone have any idea what might be happening.

Quick Reply: Question on new WRX drivability