Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Problems w/ Cobb AP Map Manager

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
Problems w/ Cobb AP Map Manager

just bought a used cobb ap for my 05 wrx.

the first thing i did was connect it to my pc to download some maps. it syncs fine with the 1.3 version of mm and will not recognize it with the updated 1.6.

anyhow, i wanted to put some maps that i downloaded from the website onto the unit (specifically 91 oct ca base map) but when i try to import the map it says "file error: could not read map data from file."

any ideas?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:24 AM

Car Info: 2003 GGA
Are you sure you downloaded the 04/05 map and not the 02/03 map? The files are named the same.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:54 AM

krikey! i just noticed that they had seperate maps. i think i might have done the others too.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:41 PM

nope, i just remembered that i even tried to import the maps from the provided cd which are seperated by year and model. no dice.

i am going to try and updatd the software on the unit. according to cobb i can't import any new maps w/o it. still i don't see why i can't import from the provided cd?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:47 PM

Stop Right There!!!

Dude, don't try to upgrade the software unless you're absolutely sure what you're doing. You can damage your ECU if its not done right.

Quoted from their website:

2004-2005 WRX AccessPORT Update (2/16/05)
Before using the new Map Manager, you will need to first have your AccessPORT upgraded to the latest software which includes the ability to properly report the VIN number on 2005 vehicles. The 2004 models did not support this option, however additional updates have been made to the map files which require all 2004-2005 owners to perform this upgrade.

DUE TO THE FACT THAT AT LEAST ONE PERSON A DAY DAMAGES THEIR ECU BECAUSE THEY FAIL TO PROPERLY FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, WE RECOMMEND YOU UNMARRY YOUR ACCESSPORT AND SEND IT IN TO US FOR THE UPGRADE TO BE PERFORMED.

IF YOU DECIDE YOU WISH TO PERFORM THE UPDATE YOURSELF, YOU WILL BE DOING SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR ECU WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER ANY WARRANTY. THE AccessPORT MUST BE IN AN UNMARRIED STATE BEFORE USING THIS PROGRAM. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL DAMAGE YOUR ECU.

Go here for more info:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/

and good luck
Old 05-23-2005, 08:25 PM

i was aware of that and have been doing alot of reading from their website and forums. it seems like (at least part of the problem) was due to a com1 issue on my desktop pc. i was able to update the firmware and transfer maps onto the unit. i have yet to attempt to marry the unit to my ecu.

from what i understand people having issues with the updated firmware stems from them not properly unmarrying thier ap from thier ecu and corrupting it when trying to re-marry it. well, i am pretty sure that my unit was properly unmarried as i could not see any menu options and had to hold down the arrow buttons to sync it. also, since my ecu was never married to the unit i am assuming that the corruption issue would not apply to me.

i have posted on the cobb forums to verify my "logic." and i will wait for more responses and or call cobb to verify that i am good to go before i marry the unit to my ecu.

apart from that, thanks for your help! i was initially downloading 02-03 maps and i definitely made sure i downloaded the maps from the correct column now!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:19 AM

ok, hope everything works out for you.

I love my AP.