Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Potential risk running Cobb TBE without AP or Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
Originally Posted by RageSTi06
ok you all convinced me to just drop the money and just get the access port now instead of waiting til december. will the access port be ok for now before i get tuned up? and will it be ok for me to just keep driving my car until i get the access port? cobb ships pretty fast so it should be in within a week. what u guys think? just wanna let you guys know i appreciate the advice and input. i just wanna make sure i do things right.
Im pretty sure a lot of local tuning shops carry the APs in stock.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 PM

Car Info: 06 STi Full Cobb TBE Stage 2 OTS
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
I was n00b enough to have dp, up, and cat back without a tune for a decent period of time (not saying you should do it), but luckily nothing happened to me because I did not drive hard on the street (huge relief). That extra power you are feeling is from a leaned out A/F ratio from all that extra free flowing air. Also, with your set up you might get be getting boost cut from ECU thinking you are running a lot more boost, again from all that extra flow. Repeated occurrence of those things is not a good thing for your engine since lean conditions cause detonation or misfires. So, can you drive with that set up untuned? Yes, if you absolutely freaking have to...but drive carefully, do not gun the car and do not push it than you should be okay, but you are still running a huge risk.
right after i installed my catted cobb tbe, i test drove it. i hit 150 mph to see what it can do, which i was very impressed by the power, but now i feel like a jack a**! i ordered the accessport a few hours ago and drove the sti cuz i had a date tonight, but im going to leave it in my garage and drive the family caravan until the accessport comes in now. i hope my car is ok. would i have felt or seen any signs/symptoms by now if something bad happened?

Originally Posted by tschida
Im pretty sure a lot of local tuning shops carry the APs in stock.
im in the stockton area, the only place i can think of is gst motorsports where i plan to also get a tune someday. i have to work all week long so i dont think i'll get the chance to go pick one up, so i guess online is the best for now. im gonna garage my sti til the accessport comes in. i wanna thank you guys from preventing me from driving my beautiful car like an idiot lol. the caravan will have to do for now...god i hate driving that thing it smells lol! i hope i didnt jack up my sti in anyway, i put about probably 300 miles max on it while driving with the cobb tbe on it without the AP or Tune. im just a very paranoid person lol, but think i'll be ok guys?

Last edited by RageSTi06; 10-24-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:06 PM

Car Info: 05STi
just ordered mine! woohoo
Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 PM

Car Info: GSTmotorsports built 2004 STI
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Verena is quite possibly one of the coolest chics ever. She used to drive in drift class. This season she took on time attack still class D. She's been doing quite well.
The first time I met her she came up to me soaked in sweat, covered in grease, with a sway bar in her hand. She needed some help getting a bolt out that she had stripped. Since then he has been one of my dream girls. Now we chat when I go to the track. Nothing more. I'm a married dude. She's got a BF too. Nothing wrong with making some eyes at one another though. Yeah she kicks ***..
Yes. nothing hotter than a woman wrenching on her own car
At Miller Motorsports Park
Name:  MillerMotorsportsPark030.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  57.4 KB
Name:  MillerMotorsportsPark032-1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  58.5 KB
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 AM

Car Info: 04 STi 07 STi and soon 08 STi
Lol

You guys are all funny. BOTH my STi's backfire like crazy runing TBE with COBB Stage2 on one and Enginuity (spelling???) on the other. yes they pop like a virgin when i shift or run her hard but it doesn't do a damn thing its called not having a cat and haveing excess fuel fumes in the exhaust that ignite on exit... perhaps from a turbo being at full boost then suddenly being let off.... the fuel has to go somewhere.......

Give this guy a break he just went and barried himself in $$700 of debt so now when he is sleeping in thw back seat of his car because he listened to you guys and bought an access port instead of paying his house payment i hope you feel bad.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru STi Limited
Originally Posted by RageSTi06
ok you all convinced me to just drop the money and just get the access port now instead of waiting til december. will the access port be ok for now before i get tuned up? and will it be ok for me to just keep driving my car until i get the access port? cobb ships pretty fast so it should be in within a week. what u guys think? just wanna let you guys know i appreciate the advice and input. i just wanna make sure i do things right.
Drive the car, don't beat on it. The Stage 2 map will be fine and safe. I'd schedule yourself a protune for the spring.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 AW STi
First mod should be some type of engine management if your going for power. You spent "x" amount of money for your car why spend "plus" amount to fix your abuse? Off the shelf maps from Cobb will be fine but a pro-tune will get the most out of each unique Subaru.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Car Info: *A Magic Carpet*
i blew my turbo running tbe.....because i never let of the gas if you know what i mean hehe XD