Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Partial DIY Standalone engine management....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 93 impreza
Partial DIY Standalone engine management....

Hi, i was thinking...

TEC II and all these are good, but how often do their sensors take readings? every 1 second? every 5 seconds? How fast does the system adjust to the change?

I want a system that takes lets say 10-20 readings per second, monitors intake, fuel, exhaust. As the boost goes up, it should adjust accordingly. I don’t want a 10 000 gauges, after all, it's not a plane, i need to watch the road instead of oil pressure level in my headers gasket.

Ideally, say i am driving 100 MPH in 100 degree weather, all of a sudden I hit a 40 degree pocket of air. I want the system to adjust accordingly.

Think i could use their system, but replace the sensors with better ones?... are there better ones?
Old 08-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Sarcastic Jackass

Car Info: i drive a beater
You make no sense what-so-ever.

If i'm correct in understanding you, you want a standalone ECU that takes many readings per second.

But by the title of this thread you want it Do-It-Yourself - so you wanna make it by yourself?

I'd suggest something from the Autronic line, but i dunno about that "sudden 40 degree pocket of air." How long do you think you'll be trapped in that pocket to REALLY make a difference? Do you honestly think that a turbo is going to notice a eye-blinks-time worth of 40 degree air while you're at WOT?

And where in the world will you find 100 degree weather with 40 degree air?

I know that i sound like an ***, but lets look at the real life application of your questions. Its like those car wax commercials where they shoot the car with a laser. How often do you shoot your car with a laser?

Never.

Exactly.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:56 AM

Heh... I know what you're talking about.

Esentially, i was thinking of using a core from some one else, but with custom sensores. For example, there are much better O2 sensores available now, so if the computer can be adjusted to work with it, I would much rather use the latest and greatest vs what comes in a kit.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:38 AM

...i cant really see how they can be setup for new sensores, as different ones work at different voltages. Your stock one works at say 3v low, and 5v high, where as the new can work at .1 low and 1 high..

I guess I need something where i can tweak with the software my self...
Old 08-13-2003, 12:06 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Lets put it this way, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

There is no need to adjust the sampling rate of the sensors. Of course if your datalogging you could do that, but for the most part general engine operation there is no need to speed up or slow the sampling based on the stock sampling rates. Everything works as it was intended.

BTW your analogy of weather changes realy goes out the door with standalone ECU's. Many cannot compensate for weather like the stock ECU can. standalones were deisgned with race applications in mind, thus one map at a time. There is no logic built into it, and it's up to the tuner to tune in the logic for different conditions.

Your going the wrong direction with your needs and wants.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Sarcastic Jackass

Many cannot compensate for weather like the stock ECU can.... There is no logic built into it, and it's up to the tuner to tune in the logic for different conditions.
The more expensive you get with an ECU, the more they can "learn" to deal with existing conditions. My ecu will advance and retard timing by itself, it will also acknowledge running in closed loop mode - something that mostly occurs during highway crusing - and compensate accordingly to provide higher fuel economy.

Of course, i can create different maps. For instance, a "daily driving" map is basically the same as my performance map, just taken down a couple notches; whereas my "performance" map was really tuned to the ragged edge.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:44 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
touche!

Sure other 'highend' units can. But they are not hte mainstream for the suby crowd

I had a LINK, a unichip, and have played with a couple other standalones and piggybacks(autronic, UTEC, and Xede). I'm not too impressed with any of them.

The LINK was crap when it came to Hawaii's weather changes. The unichip can't compensate at all. Same goes for the other piggybacks I've touched.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Sarcastic Jackass

Ya gotta pay to play.

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

You can choose two of three things when building a car: Speed, Reliability, and Affordability.

Many such cliches are running through my head right now...

edit: 200th post, woo-woo! I got one on my forum.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Don't forget the riceometer

jason
Old 08-14-2003, 11:33 AM

Re: Re: Partial DIY Standalone engine management....

Originally posted by Guerra
It is not a plane but if U want U can fly on it
Would U give me a piece of advice
WHAT ELSE I CAN INSTALL A GUAGE FOR?
why not get a unit like skyline, it's a single in dash mounted unit that keeps track of about 30 things. You can get these things now, i just dont remember the name.

also, you can get one of these ...god name escapes me..., where the reading is displayed on your windshield with green laser.. really cool.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Sarcastic Jackass

Re: Re: Partial DIY Standalone engine management....

boostmeter - good
EGT - good
oil pressure - good
fuel pressure - not completely needed. Tune once, then you're done.
oil temp - good
brake temp, (front left) - good for road racing, but unneeded for a daily.
manual transm. temp.(near viscuos-couple) - good for racing, but unneeded for a daily
water temp in radiator - nope
water temp in engine - nope
air intercooler IN temp - nope
air intercooler OUT temp - nope
voltmeter - good
ammetr for accum. charge - could live without
additional tacho on dash - WHY? You have a tach already.
O2 sensor indicator with LEDs (There 10 LEDs actually) - eh.

WHAT ELSE I CAN INSTALL A GUAGE FOR?
You don't need anymore

fuel temp as well - nope
Electronical fuel guage - nope
brake fluid pressure mech. guage - nope
tire pressure remote guage - no need unless you're driving 150 on a consistant basis
Are they expensive? - YES!

And I am not going to stop
You should, pretty soon you won't be able to see out your window!

What can be measured - must be measured and indicated.
Going to install knock indicator.
There are things that can be measured, and things that should be measured, and things you should just let your ECU worry about. Get rid of half of those gauges and wire up some warning lights to a panel display. The look is much cleaner, a lot less ugly, very much more race-inspired.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:52 PM

sure you could find a temp. difference like that.

for example:

you're driving along at 50 MPH in 100 degree weather, minding your own business.

suddenly a great big shopping mall appears in front of you

delerious from the 100 degree heat and the fact that you turned off your AC for that extra little power you crash into an air-conditioned storefront. (temp is now a cool 70 degrees)

now delerious from the shock of driving into a mall and possibly killing several people in the process you keep going plowing headllong into the supermarket in the mall.

unavoidably, you come to the frozen meat section. temperatire drops to 40 degrees.

now covered in TV dinners and body parts you careen toward the other end of the mall where you crash through another store window, back out into the 100 degree heat.

...and with this custom ECU you'll be in your powerband and maximum efficiency the whole time.

*rolls his eyes*

Quick Reply: Partial DIY Standalone engine management....