Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

just about to tune the link...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:24 AM

Car Info: Impreza OBSTI Ver. V
just about to tune the link...need help!

hey all(especially the link meisters at i-speed) i need help tuning my link in my car.

eventually i want to tune the car for optimal performance but i'm encountering two problems that especially bother me now.
one is that for a while(due to the cold weather i believe-since it started when i moved to cold maine about 6 months ago) i could not start the car the first time in the day(the colder the worse) without cranking it forever while furiously pumping the gas pedal. now that the weather has gotten warmer (weirdly enough) it happens everytime i satrt up the car. once it turns over it pretty much starts and remains at perfect idle but start up is a pain. the thing is i'd rather do this than have unperfect idol which goes up to 2K, sometimes 3K, then goes up and down.or have a nice start up and then when i idle the car stalls. i've been there and hate that, would rather crank all day. OF course i'd rather it behave perfectly to anything else

the other thing is that at 5th gear when i floor the car(i was testing the rpm that full boost come on when this firsat happened) when it gets to full boost at like 4000 slight knock can be heard. this wont happen at like 5000 rpm. i havent done this enough times to be sure it always happens that way since i don't want to experiment by inducing knock. i downshift to 4th when passing on the highway to about 5K and i dont seem to hear any knock. so i assume i'll need to enrichen the fuel mixture between 4-5K?

if you guys could help me with these two things i would be etenerally gratefull. if you could dumb it down for me so much the better. insult me please, pretend i'm an idiot, as i've never tuned a car before. the software i have is the windows friendly one i downloaded at the i-speed site BTW....

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you !
(pretend its one thousand)

-Lou
Old 03-12-2003, 10:36 AM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Wow, so much to answer and mention but so little time...

First of all, read the manual from front to back, back to front, while your on the toilet , sleep next to it. There is so much information there that will help you out and tell you what each function does.

To cure a idle problem like what you described, it could be your clamp setting. Or in my case, I added some +5 to +7 degree's of timing in my idle cells.

For cold starts, there is an explicit cold start setting.

For knock, yes you need to richen up the mixture to cure knock. If adding more fuel does not help, you may have to pull back a degree or two of timing.

Other then that, I hope you have a wideband as your not going to get very far with that narrowband as your O2 sensor.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:04 PM

thanx teiva!

i never got a manual, is there a pdf file i can download somewhere, or at worse case somewhere at link where i can buy one?

thanx for all the other help. i tried to hook up the link to the laptop and i thought i had it right but when i started up the link program (i was just planning on seeing the gauges move around and attempt some data logging without adjusting anything before i become familar with the link) i tried to connect with the link and it said it couldn't find the connection. that means i'm gonna have to check my connections all out first. i also don't have a serial port on my laptop(its on my docking station which is broken) so i'm using a serial port to usb port adaptor which can also be the cause of the lack of connection. it sux cause i spent considerable time dremmling a slot on the ecu case then stinging the cable up under the carpet and through the glovebox. i sealed it all back up before i tested it and now i'm gonna have to undo the bolts and whatnot all over again!
but thanx again tuner gurus,
-lou
Old 03-13-2003, 03:23 AM

With my laptop which also has no serial port I had to use a USB to serial convertor. I tried a serial cable and couldn't get a connection. I ended up putting the convertor straight to the serial link and it worked! Dont know why though...
Old 03-13-2003, 03:26 AM

Oh and I dont know what kind of car you drive, but here is the WRX manuals

http://www.link-electro.co.nz/possumlink.html

I'm sure you can find the other manuals for the regular link products if you need to on the same site.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:14 PM

thanx T-B!

i actually found that site off of google and was about to post it here with my thanx. i have an sti ver V transplanted in my wagon so i just downloaded the ver V pdf and i was set. read it a couple of times and i gotta say very good read, thanx dude.

you posted that you have a usb to serial port adaptor as well? is it a radioshack one? that's what i have, dunno if thats the problem....tell me where you got yours and maybe i'll get that one and see if it works. the radioshck guy said if it doesnt work to take it back and he'll redfund my money. he said that if the data speed is too fast, it might not work ? like i said, i dunno if thats the prob or my connection somewhere, i'll take the thing apart and re do it again but i'm sure i put together corectly.
thanx again dude!

-Lou
Old 03-18-2003, 07:21 PM

Whoops sorry for the late reply... It's a keyspan USB to serial adapter
Old 03-24-2003, 04:48 PM

whoops sorry for the even later reply guys...

thanx for all the help. do you guys think its the radio shck adaptor then? and sky..do i put those variables into the comlink? can't i just turn on the pclink and it connects automatically, or do i have to plug in those values into it as well? if so how?

sorry about all the questions but i'm so new at this.

i got the link from rallispec when they installed the sti engine like 2 years ago so they know the type of link. i sent them an email and i'll tell you guys what type it is when they get back to me. i know they used an sti ver V base map and tweaked from there if that helps...

again thanx guys!
-Lou
Old 03-25-2003, 08:08 PM

as for which link...

i just got an email back from dave at rallispec. he said he wasn't aware there were different link models(they don't really use the link for their tuning anymore) but he said mine was the Possumlink plug-in model. my engine is the gc8 wrx sti ver V if that helps any. i hope this info helps.

thanx guys,
-Lou
Old 03-26-2003, 12:16 AM

Okay....

I think it's pretty safe to assume that you can use the PCLINK software and connect to the LINK.

As for an adapter... Try to not use a serial cable and connect the radio shack adapter directly to the serial link. That worked for me. You may need to remove the metal shield around the female connector.