Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

how do i tune with an apex safc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
how do i tune with an apex safc?

ok i feel like a tool asking but thats the only way you learn right?
i am a newbie to tuning , normaly i just stick to the bolt on bits, but i got a great deal on an apex-i safc II and i am totaly committed to learning about how to tune with it my self..... i just need some help and pointers..
my car : farley stock 2000 impreza 2.5rs sohc
my plans : mildly agressive daily driver; intake, headers, exhaust in the near future.
my firend whom is the tech adviser for my group of friends told me the most accurate way for a "drive way" tuner is by utilizing an air fule guage and an exhaust temprature guage....
i understand what the air fule guage will tell me (weather the car is running ritch lean or 'happy')
but im not all to sure what the exaust temp guage will do? will the engine run hotter if it is too lean? and do i need both guages?
lots of questions but if some one has a good link that will explain things it would be much appreciated... i tried surching but got nothing of any help.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
ok but how? do i just play with the fule tables till the are fule meter no longer dips into the lean or too deep into the ritch?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Make sure you're using a wideband O2. The S-AFC allows adjusting fuel at various RPM points and also at two different throttle positions and then interpolates everything. One thing to keep in mind is that the fuel adjustment is accomplished by fooling the ECU into thinking more or less air is getting to the engine. This also affects your timing so be careful.