Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Good UTEC Tuner in SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 10:34 PM

Good UTEC Tuner in SF Bay Area

I have an STI and I'm looking for a Good UTEC tuner, I'm dropping in a SR40 turbo, downpipe, intake, injectors and fuel pump.

I've tried emailing Bill at i-speed but no response so far. I called Vishnu but they will charge me 275 on their dyno because I lack cats. This is expensive and I don't know how good they are with the UTEC.

Any info would be great thanks.

Miguel
Old 08-23-2004, 11:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Originally Posted by mnavarro
I have an STI and I'm looking for a Good UTEC tuner, I'm dropping in a SR40 turbo, downpipe, intake, injectors and fuel pump.

I've tried emailing Bill at i-speed but no response so far. I called Vishnu but they will charge me 275 on their dyno because I lack cats. This is expensive and I don't know how good they are with the UTEC.

Any info would be great thanks.

Miguel
Bill from I-speed is gone until sept, but he is a great tuner and can tune the UTEC for way lower than vishnu, and faster as vishnu is always busy with something.

if you've got some time on your hands and want to dyno on a mustang( 3 weeks maybe )
wait for Mike from MPJ performance who will be tuning @ Gruppe-S in Hayward...he can tune UTEC and you get the opportunity to be the first on that dyno)

or S-squared if your up for the drive as they have a mustang dyno also.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:07 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I don't have much personal experience with the UTEC, but I've read a lot about tuning them and I like to think I'm a pretty smart guy. I'd be happy to help you out with it and get you a nice street/road dyno tune free of charge. Then if you feel you'd like more, you can hit the dyno to fine tune.
BTW, I'd suggest getting a WB02 along with all your other mods. Then you can do all your tuning off a dyno and just do a couple dyno pulls for numbers. I recently installed a zeitronix unit and it works very well.

-- Ed
Old 08-24-2004, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the info. I did contact Mike at MPJ/gruppe-s so that's probably the way I will go. Vaus, what forms of engine managment have you programmed before? I would certainly be interested if you have smarts+experience as I only have smarts.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:36 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Recently, I've tuned mostly S-AFC's and E-Manages, but in my VW days, I worked quite a bit with the motronic ECU code directly and have a good deal of experience on the dyno with it. I'm also very familiar with the workings of the Subaru ECU (mostly the WRX, but I'll read up more on the STI ECU if you decide to work with me). So as I've said, I don't have direct experience with the UTEC, but I'm very well versed in EFI tuning in general and especially the Subie ECU, so I don't think I'd have any problem with the UTEC. I'd also like to mention that I like to pay a lot of attention to drivability and smoothness and of course I like to keep things on the conservative side, especially if we're lacking all the propper tuning instrumentation.
If you do decide to work with me, there are a lot of nice straight, flat, empty roads, out here in Davis that are perfect for road tuning and road dynos... I have many hours logged out on these roads . You could come out here, or if you know of some similar places closer to you, we can arrange that as well.
Let me know.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 08-24-2004, 12:56 PM

vaus, I appreciate your offer. I will probably be using the services of Mike at gruppe-s. He's got a wide band and he will be able to tune it and has some experience on UTEC. His rates are very reasonable. He's also relatively close to me. I certainly appreciate your help and if I purchase the UTEC tuner(wide band) I will definitely keep you in mind.