Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Feedback on Apexi AVC-R and S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 05:09 PM

Car Info: white 03 sedan
Feedback on Apexi AVC-R and S-AFC

has anyone installed any of these before? I was planning to install both...is that a bad idea? If not, do any of you have the installation instructions?
Old 07-01-2003, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
Re: Feedback on Apexi AVC-R and S-AFC

Originally posted by in3g_wrx
has anyone installed any of these before? I was planning to install both...is that a bad idea? If not, do any of you have the installation instructions?
i installed the apexi s-afc II
i have to say, it is useless. the subaru computer learns around it. it works for about a tank of gas, then the computer readjusts fuel, and you go back to normal, then if you set maps back at zero, you are off in the wrong direction on your fuel mixture until the computer learns and readjusts. it is more a pain than it is worth.
as far as the avc-r, i have never used one, so i have no idea
Old 07-01-2003, 06:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Feedback on Apexi AVC-R and S-AFC

Originally posted by impreza7
Wow, really? I've installed and am running both of these on my gc8, and I've never encountered this problem. My A/F ratios stay exactly how I set them on the S-AFC. As far as installing them, its not hard, you'll just need a wiring diagram for your ECU, and some spare wire incase you need to lengthen the wires any. The instruction manual tells you exactly how to tap into the ECU harness. I would recommend sautering the wires together. my throttle sensor wire come loose, and it's a pain to have to reconnect. You'll want a wide band A/F gauge for tuning. The AVC-R is sweet, and easy to use. (After you get the bar-psi conversion down.)
i know i installed it right, maybe i should just play around with it more, it just seems that everytime i adjust, it goes back to normal, and then when i set the map at 0 across the board, i have 0 power under 2200rpm for about a tank or so of gas.

what is the map you are using? and what mods?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
The question is what year car you guys are driving. The reason I ask is because the 98 and 99 MYs are MAF sensors while the 2000 and 2001 cars are MAP sensors. That would make a huge difference. I know for sure that if you the MAF sensors, the engine will take longer to learn it and it will constant relearn because of the amount of air flow. However, the cars with the MAP sensors are much smarter and go obviously by pressure.

As for the AVCR, I have one in my RS Conversion right now and it causes some hesitation and at points I can feel my ECU pull timing. I would have to honestly say that at points this thing is useless.

The SAFC and the SAFCII don't do anything for new cars because the ECU is too smart and learns things quickly. The AVCR on the other hand does something completely different. So I would say it is good if you plan on having boost on tap and what not but I would say just have the ECU control boost if you can.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:58 AM

yup, mines a 2001
Old 07-02-2003, 08:55 PM

I know there are no vacuum leaks. And it is known that putting in a AVCR with a WRX motors will cause some hesitation that cannot be avoided. So I am aware of it already.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:00 PM

It is due to the ECU because the ECU can control the boost using the solenoid and when it cannot do that, then that is where it causes the hesitation.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:28 PM

Car Info: white 03 sedan
so what kind of boost controllers would you guys recommend? I wouldn't wanna waste my money on something that's useless...Also, what other electronics would be good to have? By the way, i prefer info on 02+ WRX
Old 07-03-2003, 11:34 PM

I suggest that you leave everything in your car stock and just find a local ECUTek tuner and have them just reflash your stock ecu.