Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

EcuTech reflash vs. Cobb AcessPORT

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 12:17 PM

Exclamation EcuTech reflash vs. Cobb AcessPORT (need advise)

Hey,

I am thinking about ecu tunning and don't realy want any piggy's.
As far as I know there are mostly two choises out there ecutech and accessport.

Anybody can effectivley compare those two?
The only difference I've notice is that acessport uses premade maps and ecutech is
"custom tuned" for paticular car. But then with acessport you can go from map to map in a matter of seconds vs. ecutech you have to bring it to the shop every time you change something. ( I paticulary like the idea of "valet map" and "anti theft map" on accessport).

Need more info, please.

Last edited by scorp88; 07-07-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Originally Posted by scorp88
Hey,

I am thinking about ecu tunning and don't realy want any piggy's.
As far as I know there are mostly two choises out there ecutech and accessport.

Anybody can effectivley compare those two?
The only difference I've notice is that acessport uses premade maps and ecutech is
"custom tuned" for paticular car. But then with acessport you can go from map to map in a matter of seconds vs. ecutech you have to bring it to the shop every time you change something. ( I paticulary like the idea of "valet map" and "anti theft map" on accessport).

Need more info, please.
Go for the ACCESSPORT... But you were telling me you have an AT.. so check this out... there are a few simple mods that can help you spool a bit earlier, DEFINITELY ADD the ACCESSPORT, but for now, pay 150 and get a silicone intercooler hose kit...

Perrin is one of the best brands to go with if youre going to take this route... also, while youre at it, you can get a Perrin lightened crank pulley, simple bolt on... NOT UNDERDRIVEN, so you wont have any problems, its about 4 pounds lighter than the stock pulley (but is equivilent to removing something like 400-600 pounds off your cars total weight) and therefore relieves a lot of weight from your engine, its like stress relief for the engine ... the car will pick up SLIGHTLY faster... these are little things but they help... An uppipe will also help with spooling faster... but go in this order and you will be more than happy..

Perrin I/C Hose Kit
Perrin Lightened Crank Pulley
COBB AccessPORT
HELIX Up-Pipe

oh and honestly Im a bit tired of retyping my synopsis on the accessport, sorry man, but most of my information comes from doing searches, and reading reviews in this forum, so indluge some time into searching and reviews! The AccessPORT will provide you a good tune while keeping reliability in check, thats what I love about the product, very good gains, nice price, and always upgradeable to the mods you add such as a TBE... following their maps are a good way to plan out mods...

Hope you dont have to use that MBC very much longer!

Take Care and Good Luck

Vimik
Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Also, do you have a Boost Gauge? Because you may THINK youre running under 14 but I dont see why the MBC would deliver boost much earlier... Im guessing youre probably running a bit more...

Just a possibility, unless you have a gauge (stock one may have accuracy issues)

Vimik
Old 07-13-2005, 02:49 PM

Car Info: 05' OBP/Gold STi
Originally Posted by Boost Addict

NOT UNDERDRIVEN, so you wont have any problems, its about 4 pounds lighter than the stock pulley (but is equivilent to removing something like 400-600 pounds off your cars total weight)\

Vimik
Fi

First, look into Static X's light weight pully, really nice and good price. Second, this above statement is WRONG.

You do not even come close to "removing something like 400-600 pounds"... that is just plain retarded.

You do "feel" a noticeable change, as if the car becomes more athletic. I think someone worked out the math that it is around ~100 lbs of a weight difference that can be felt. How does a 4 pound pulley remove 400 pounds off the total weight?

Secondly, the AP is almost identical with the EcuTek if you have someone ProTune the car. I recommend the AP only as a tool but I would not recommend their maps. Get it ProTuned, you will be happier with more power than the stage2 and you will have piece of mind as well.

-Mark
Old 07-19-2005, 05:27 PM

Talking

Does anyone happen to have a list of places you can go to get your AP tuned in the Midwest? I'm in MO and can't seem to find any!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:06 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX
List of AP Tuners, check news, first link last I checked

http://www.cobbtuning.com/main.html
Old 07-20-2005, 12:07 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
The list of AP tuners is a bit limited at the moment with a large concentration in California. I'll be planning some trips out to other parts of the country fairly soon to offer my services.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 05' OBP/Gold STi
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
The list of AP tuners is a bit limited at the moment with a large concentration in California. I'll be planning some trips out to other parts of the country fairly soon to offer my services.

Thanks

Oh ya!

^^^^^

This guy tuned me and I have nothing but good things to say!
Old 07-20-2005, 07:13 PM

Cool! Where you plan on heading? Over this way maybe?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by L8rpoky
Cool! Where you plan on heading? Over this way maybe?
I was thinking about the Arizona area, but I could be persuaded to travel elsewhere as well if there are enough interested people. If you can get 8-10 subies in the area interested in either an Ecutek or ProTUNER tune, that should be sufficient to make a trip.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2005, 07:49 AM

I do have a boost gauge and a silicone hoses all the way from intake box to an STI intercooler.
Didn't feel any difference unitll BC. Even with Perrin downpipe.
And no metter what I do, my fuel economy goes down and down. I thought catless makes it otherwise. And the fact that this is AT adds to it. I just found out that AT car starts from 2nd gear. Gear ratios for AT 1st and MT 2nd are allmost identical. (NO FUN AT ALL)
The next thing on the list is P&P'd stock turbo and gutted uppipe. STI intercooler goes...stock comes back. And then AP.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:45 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

I wouldn't give up on the STI intercooler. You'll start to realize the gains from it once you get a tune to take advantage of it. The uppipe is deffinately the next thing to do, but I would think twice about a p&p'd stock turbo. I ran one for a while and saw absolutely no gains in spoolup or power.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 01:28 PM

I almost got P&P'd turbo off eBay, just missed the auction.
And there were people on NISOC that sais that they had much faster spool-up with that.
They had P&P'd Throttle bodies as well as intercoller intake ports and turbos.
I am not looking for more boost, jsut faster spool-up and with bigger turbo it's wise versa.

Thanks for good info.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
What about to Hawaii?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:15 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by scorp88
I almost got P&P'd turbo off eBay, just missed the auction.
And there were people on NISOC that sais that they had much faster spool-up with that.
They had P&P'd Throttle bodies as well as intercoller intake ports and turbos.
I am not looking for more boost, jsut faster spool-up and with bigger turbo it's wise versa.

Thanks for good info.

There are many turbos that spool faster than stock. I have a VF-35 and running approx 18 lbs of boost w/ a PDE UP and a MRT TBE and you can hear it spooling as early as 2500 and it pulls HARD from ~ 4800 to red. Though, it's not a ballbearing turbo (which i think garrett makes?) which spool up quicker too. Though, the best mod to gain power and decrease lag is a catless up pipe.

From what I know, the ecutek and ap is basically the same thing except you can switch maps in a few seconds. Though, many people went ECUTek because of the lack of tuning availible for the AP, which is not much of a factor anymore.

Quick Reply: EcuTech reflash vs. Cobb AcessPORT