Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Cobb stage 2 HWG map

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Cobb stage 2 HWG map

So I loaded up the Cobb stage 2 HWG map today just to check it out. I was normally using the stage 2 california map. It made a difference. The car really excellerates hard through the first 2 gears. That's where I felt it most. In second gear I was hitting about 14.5 lbs of boost. I don't know what is considered normal but this map really improves excelleration. So far no knocking/pinging. In case you haven't tried this map and your car doesnt ping using using the standard 91 map, you should try it. You might see a difference.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:50 PM

is it the map that Cobb tells you to stay away from unless you don't hit target boost with the normal map?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Yup..

Originally Posted by wagonrex
is it the map that Cobb tells you to stay away from unless you don't hit target boost with the normal map?
Yup, the one that says, "Use at own risk". I was only 1 psi short of target so I thought I'd give it a try. It didn't seem to boost any more than usual but it did seem to boost faster....could have all been in my mind though. There were no spikes or anything like that...

I think the guys at Cobb said something about looking out for boost spikes while using this map or over boosting...
Old 03-27-2005, 10:19 PM

16lbs

Well, today I saw 16lbs of boost on the Accessport. This is only after two day of driving the car with the HWG map.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 03 black wrx
What is so special about this map? How does it differ from regular and CA stage 2 maps? Is this map dangerous?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:00 PM

Not exactly sure

I'm not sure but it has something to do with allowing your car to make more boost. Apparently some cars won't reach the specified 15.5 (or so) lbs of boost, give or take .5lbs. So Cobb make this map that tells whatever it is that controls boost, to make more (I feel like a cave man explaining this). I'm sure someone knows more about it. In any case, if you use this map and your car makes the desired boost,...great. However, if you use this map just to get more boost, like 17 or 18lbs, well then you're on your own. Hence the "USE AT OWN RISK". So we're told to keep an eye on our boost to make sure we don't over boost. Oh and CA. users need to wory more about pinging due to our crappy gas. Hence, the CA. specific map that's supposed to make some minor adjustments to compensate for our bad gas.

In any case, i'm hitting my 15.5 - 16lbs while using the HWG map and the car IS faster. No pinging on the bad CA. gas either. So far so good.