Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Cobb Stage 2 Boost Fluctuations

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Originally Posted by Blarg
there's another product in the works from Cobb called "accesstuner". This will be an accessport-like device that allows you to tweak existing maps and make your own if you want. The price is supposed to be $1000....or $400 for an upgrade for existing accessport owners
and god knows when that'll be out for sale and not on back order
Old 05-20-2004, 07:06 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Has anyone tried to use an aftermarket Intake with the Cobb AccessECU? Short Ram or CAI or what not. I'm wondering if it will do any gains, or just give boost spikes. Maybe I'll try it out, I know it gave me lots of boost spikes before I got the AccessECU, I just miss hearing that turbo sucking air.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:50 AM

there's a map for Injen intakes for stage 2. It doesn't give you any more power. According to Cobb, all intakes do is screw with the MAF data and make it harder to do a proper tune. At some point, the noisemakers have to come off and you have to get serious. they're not recomended.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:06 PM

there's a map for Injen intakes for stage 2. It doesn't give you any more power. According to Cobb, all intakes do is screw with the MAF data and make it harder to do a proper tune. At some point, the noisemakers have to come off and you have to get serious. they're not recomended.
Noisemakers? you mean the BOV. I have been running the GFB 50/50 BOV and my car is running quite well. Of course I have the stock intake air box. No boost spikes whatsoever here.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:20 AM

me too...I had mine running 50/50 for well over 70K miles, and recently I switched to 100%.

I was refering to the intake more. CAI's are pretty much noisemakers. The OE intake gets the job done for ANY setup you can imagine that can be run on the stock short block without hurting it (up to about 330 CRANK HP). THe BOV....that's a little trickier...I'm sure it works fine, if you don't mind the little bit of hesitation on hard runs, but once you start pushing the motor to its design limits, you REALLY want the ECU to know EXACTLY how much fuel and air you got at all times. As far as I'm concerened, running your motor up to 7K RPM while pushing 300 HP, and then dumping your air, and suddenly making the mixture rich, leaving the ECU no way to corect for it is aksing for trouble. It MAY not do anything....but its introducing one more variable in the "will I blow my motor" equation.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:13 AM

me too...I had mine running 50/50 for well over 70K miles, and recently I switched to 100%.

I was refering to the intake more. CAI's are pretty much noisemakers. The OE intake gets the job done for ANY setup you can imagine that can be run on the stock short block without hurting it (up to about 330 CRANK HP). THe BOV....that's a little trickier...I'm sure it works fine, if you don't mind the little bit of hesitation on hard runs, but once you start pushing the motor to its design limits, you REALLY want the ECU to know EXACTLY how much fuel and air you got at all times. As far as I'm concerened, running your motor up to 7K RPM while pushing 300 HP, and then dumping your air, and suddenly making the mixture rich, leaving the ECU no way to corect for it is aksing for trouble. It MAY not do anything....but its introducing one more variable in the "will I blow my motor" equation.
Yes you're right which is why I have the stock intake with my Cobb Stage 2 setup.
How's the 100% BOV working for you. I used it before but my car wasn't running properly, I get throttle surges everytime I shift.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:07 AM

You DO get some hesitation on hard runs.

I think the sound is a little TOO prevalent as well. You hear it ALMOST every time you take your foot off the gas, especially in lower gears. To be honest it started annoying me after a week or so. Sounds like a semi or a bus when I drive. Also, the air outlet points RIGHT into the heat vent of my CF hood and on hard boost it makes the rain gutter vibrate and sounds like something exploded under the hood. I'm taking it out as soon as I have some time. I just moved, so as soon as I unpack and can get to my tools its coming off and going on Ebay. I think the GP Moto silencer delete elbow + stock BOV is a better way to go.

The the GP Moto part doesn't screw with the intake either.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by silverfox1
question? i have stock sti what will a cobb acessport do for me either stage 1 or 2 and how will it effect my mpg etc.? if i add dp and race pipe catless both as well as intermediate pipe to stock muffler what can i expect? any daily driveability problems? silverfox1

Cobb hasn't released the accessport for the STI yet. Here is the link http://cobbtuning.com/sti/power-s.html
Old 06-07-2004, 10:56 AM

Cobb tends to not cause drivability problems...and if it does they'll tell you right in the item desctiption (like the heavy duty racing clutches). When I got my AP it was about $550....now its $595 (introductory price expired Apr 1). The accesstuner upgrade for AP owners will be $400 (the difference in price between AP and AT).

as for gains, if the WRX version is any indicator, on a bone-stock WRX you make 25HP/30TQ on 91 octane gas.

MPG depends on how you drive. If I drive as one would drive a "normal" car, I end up with about +5 MPG. if I drive aggressively I get about the same..maybe -1.

mind you this is all on the "preformance" map....I wouldn't use the economy map, I've heard of people (with mods) blowing their motors because the economy mode runs the car too lean.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by MO REX
Cobb hasn't released the accessport for the STI yet. Here is the link http://cobbtuning.com/sti/power-s.html

One day after I posted this the Accessport was released for the STI.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:10 PM
xom

Car Info: 04 GTO 5.7
Angry Cobb is starting to **** me right the #!@* off!

Ok,
I ordered it on 3/24.
Got a call last Wed from Cobb that my credit card had expired (damn over 2month wait). I gave them the updated info for the card and they said if should go out that day. Well nothing happened so I called them this past tuesday and they said "oh we ran out". So I guess they ran out thursday and friday as well.

Anyway I was assured that it would go out that day (Tuesday) and I would get the UPS info Wed. Well no info. So I call today and what do you know, Cobb hadn't shipped it. Yay! Thanks guys! So NOW they assure me that it will go out today (that sounds familiar hmmm..) and I should get it Monday.

I swear if I don't get a tracking number today. I'm going to get a refund. This is just crappy business. Cobb may have some idea on how to tune cars but take some classes in business jeez.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:33 PM

had the same problem with the vendor i got it from....i think the 5th time they said they're going to ship it they actually did. they got serious supply chain problems...accessport has completely overwhelmed them....its a good thing they're not selling motors like that
Old 06-11-2004, 11:41 AM

Car Info: 03' Subaru Impreza WRX - R.I.P.
I have cobb stage 2 accessport w/ an injen intake and HKS SSQ BOV and after reading this thread I am a bit worried about this "blow my motor" thing. I also notice that my gas mileage has been significantly lower than back when I was running stock stage 1. How can I test my car to check if I am running much richer than usual? I was also told that running the engine too rich is safer than running the engine too lean. Anyone care to expand on this???

Quick Reply: Cobb Stage 2 Boost Fluctuations