Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Is Cobb HWG stage 1 map the best/safest answer to low boost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 07:07 PM

Car Info: '09 Black Audi S5
Originally Posted by MO REX
After flashing the hwg map (high waste gate), I went for a drive and now I am hitting 14.6 psi and holding in 3rd-5th and 14ish in 1st and 2nd with no spikeing. I have only put 20 miles on it since I flashed the hwg map and Im already at target boost so it will be interesting to see what boost is at after a few tanks of gas.
Great. How is the subjective feel using HWG map?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
To be quite honest, even when I was useing the regular stage 1 93 octane map the car felt great. Now that I flashed the hwg map, I cant say I feel a big difference but since the car pulled so good before Im not sure that I should feel a big difference with the old butt dyno. One other thing I have to account for is the fact that the car hasnt had as much time to learn in comparrison to when I had the original flash. Even if the butt dyno never feels a difference, that doesnt mean there is not a difference and the only way to know for sure may be to dyno the car before and after (with the same time to learn). Since the only difference between the two is the function of the waste gate, as long as you are at target boost and holding I cant see how it wouldnt help. If you increased your 1/4 mile time by 1 or 2 tenths do you think you would feel it if the car pulled hard through the whole rpm range before the increase? It also seems like the turbo spools much quicker and with less throttle so I am curious to see the difference in gas mileage.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:08 AM

I had disappointing results with the accessport. After installing and using stage1 91 oct, i checked the boost after some runs, and on the port it only showed 7-7.8 on all the gears. Does anyone know what is wrong?
my mods are uppipe, catback, intake, 3/16th mod
Old 07-02-2004, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Cobb has special maps for cars with specific intakes. Stage 1 was set up for use with the factory airbox and the original restrictor. Cobb was giving a different restrictor to people that had target boost problems but Im not sure what size they were. I wouldnt think those mods would cause such low boost readings but who knows. Did you check all of the vacume lines around the upipe and around the boost sylinoid? If they were not hooked up correctly after the upipe install that could definately cause some problems. If I were you I would check out Cobbs discussion forum http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...cgi?category=4 or just give them a call and Im sure they would be happy to help you.

Last edited by MO REX; 07-02-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
I'm not make as much boost as I used too.... http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=8;t=000277
Old 07-03-2004, 02:41 AM

how much boost you guys making on first and second gear...? and do u know what should be the max boost on those gears for the stage 1 map?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:51 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mach5WRX
I'm not make as much boost as I used too.... http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=8;t=000277

I was looking at another thread you posted and someone told you to hook up your mbc again to see if that would help. from what I've read at cobbs site, that is not a good idea. It seems like the majority of the people that are haveing target boost problems (eaven with the hwg map) have had a mbc on their car prior to the AP so maybe Cobb has figured out what the deal is. I would call them, tell them the cars history and see what they say.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally Posted by MO REX
I was looking at another thread you posted and someone told you to hook up your mbc again to see if that would help. from what I've read at cobbs site, that is not a good idea. It seems like the majority of the people that are haveing target boost problems (eaven with the hwg map) have had a mbc on their car prior to the AP so maybe Cobb has figured out what the deal is. I would call them, tell them the cars history and see what they say.

Good luck.
I only had an MBC on the car for less than 2 hrs.