Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Is Cobb HWG stage 1 map the best/safest answer to low boost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Question Is Cobb HWG stage 1 map the best/safest answer to low boost?

I just received my Accessport and my base map is stage 1, 93 octane. Before flashing to stage 1 I was getting .99 hkpa and now that I am at stage 1 I am only getting .88 hkpa which is around 12.5 psi on the accessport. I am wondering if the ecu will correct this after it does some learning (I would think not). If it doesnt improve after it has time to learn, do you guys think this alternate map is a good idea? I am a little worried about useing this because Cobb says "use at your owm risk". I went with the Cobb off the shelf map because I have heard they are the most safe maps out there so I dont want to increase the risk factor.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:53 PM

Car Info: '09 Black Audi S5
Not sure. Just got AP 2 days ago. Flashed Stg1 91Oct. Car setup is stock except for a Prodrive axelback.

Here are my feelings. Gears 1 and 2 dont feel any different. 3 is a little stronger down low. 4 and 5 seem to pull better at lower rpm's than before. 5 in particular almost pulls like 4 used to when I'm cruising at 70-75 and hit the gas to pass. In other words, less need to downshift now.

With regards to boost. With moderate temps (75-80 deg.) and humidity around 60-70%, I am seeing 13.5-14.1 boost in 4th and 5th gears. In 1,2,3 not any more than mid-12 at any given time. When the temp is lower in the mornings/late night(50-60 deg), I am seeing 14.5-14.8 in 4th and 5th. Now, I never had a boost gage prior, so I really don't know what I was hitting prior to AP install. Of course, boost is not everything. Meaning, if you used to hit 15psi before your AP, but only did so for a brief moment, would that mean your car was quicker? Or would you rather hit 14-14.5 but over a larger rpm range? I'm not claiming to have the answer, just something to ponder.

Overall car feels a little stronger in all gears, but better in 4 and 5. Keep in mind that even though COBB claims a 25hp/tq improvement, while this may sound like a lot, it represents only a 10% increase over stock. So, if you asked someone to hit you in the chest 10% harder than the prior punch...would you notice a significant difference? Maybe not.

I am curious if my car will 'learn' also. Suppossedly, when you reset your ECU (which is what we have done with the AP), it has to learn all over again. BTW, mine is an '02 5-spd Sedan with 40k miles. Love to hear you thoughts since we have similar elevation and climate. Like you, I am consider the hwg map, but am a bit conservative. Also, I have a Scoobysport up/downpipe in the garage and will install and flash to stage 2 soon.

-Steve
Old 06-26-2004, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

I hear what you are saying about Peak boost but I am takeing readings in 5th gear and it holds at 12.5 psi in comparison to holding at around 14.7, so I would think that would definately make a difference. Has boost incerased in the 2 days you have had it and if so by how much? Cobb's target for boost is 14.7-15.2 here is a link that gives Trey's explination on what the new map does http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...1;t=000129;p=5. After reading Treys post I am wondering if he is setting the waste gate to open at or over 10 psi.

My car is a 02 sedan, 5 speed and the only other power mod is a Blitz nur spec r cat back. My car idles and runs much smoother than stock now and like you I am feeling the gains more in 4th and 5th gear along with more torque at lower rpm's.

Last edited by MO REX; 06-26-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:01 PM

Car Info: 04' wrx
I had the same trouble with stage 2. I changed to the hwg map and have great results. 15.8 psi to 16.1 psi in all gears at wot, holds steady. Also waste gate flutter is almost gone. You probably don't notice this as much unless you have a dp. Cobb says that he only tweaked the waste gate duty cycles. It's ok as long as your not spiking boost( after ecu learning), and as long as boost isn't "hunting". I had some intial 16.3psi spikes till i made about 3 hard runs, it settled down and now i'm cool. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:17 PM

Car Info: '03 Wrx w/vf-34, sti pinks,tbe, 2.5l cobb block
Unhappy

I got my AP about a month ago. But when i ran the stage 1 I got up to 14.2 psi. Then I tried the HWG and only ran 13.0 psi all according to the AP psi readings.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
is the HWG map different form the Stage 2 map thats on the accessport?
Old 06-27-2004, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally Posted by greddy5
is the HWG map different form the Stage 2 map thats on the accessport?

yes. you have to download it off of cobbs website.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by MO REX
Has boost incerased in the 2 days you have had it and if so by how much? Cobb's target for boost is 14.7-15.2 here is a link that gives Trey's explination on what the new map does http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...1;t=000129;p=5. After reading Treys post I am wondering if he is setting the waste gate to open at or over 10 psi.

My car is a 02 sedan, 5 speed and the only other power mod is a Blitz nur spec r cat back. My car idles and runs much smoother than stock now and like you I am feeling the gains more in 4th and 5th gear along with more torque at lower rpm's.
No, boost has not seemed to increase over this time period. Seems most effected by weather. If you try the hwg, post and let me know. I have yet to put the software on my computer...will do this wkend.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

^^^^
Mine is gaining a little each day. I have went from .88 hkpa in cool weather to .92 hkpa in warmer weather in the last two days so if this continues Im going to leave it alone. How far are you from St. Louis? I have no idea where Blue Springs is.

Originally Posted by snicklous
I got my AP about a month ago. But when i ran the stage 1 I got up to 14.2 psi. Then I tried the HWG and only ran 13.0 psi all according to the AP psi readings.

You were already close enough to the target before the HWG. Why did you change maps?

Last edited by MO REX; 06-27-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:14 PM

Car Info: '03 Wrx w/vf-34, sti pinks,tbe, 2.5l cobb block
I was just seeing on how much more boost I would get with the HWG.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by snicklous
I was just seeing on how much more boost I would get with the HWG.

Have you flashed back to the original stage one to see if you could get back to the 14's? In about 100 miles of driveing I have gained .5 psi, so Im thinking at this rate I will hopefully be back to around 14.5 psi in about 3 days.

Last edited by MO REX; 06-27-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by MO REX
How far are you from St. Louis? I have no idea where Blue Springs is.
Kansas City
Old 06-27-2004, 05:57 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
I am a firm believer in letting it learn for a while. I got the accessport in mid-late april, and relflashed with stage 1 93 oct. At first there was not much difference, and I was not hitting max boost. I left it alone, and after a few tanks of gas it is more apparent that the additional power is there. Just give it time, and don't expect a massive increase in power at first when you reflash it. I just got back from a nice Sunday evening drive and my car ran like a raped ape.

:-)
Old 06-29-2004, 09:06 PM
VIP Member

Talking

Originally Posted by BlkRex
No, boost has not seemed to increase over this time period. Seems most effected by weather. If you try the hwg, post and let me know. I have yet to put the software on my computer...will do this wkend.

Well I got in my car today and it lost a little boost (warmer day) so I called Cobb, explained the situation and the guy I talked to said that the ecu is not capable of learning to add 2 psi. The reason Trey said to use it at your own risk is because some people will flash the map when they are already at target boost. All the map does is make the waste gate open later.

After flashing the hwg map (high waste gate), I went for a drive and now I am hitting 14.6 psi and holding in 3rd-5th and 14ish in 1st and 2nd with no spikeing. I have only put 20 miles on it since I flashed the hwg map and Im already at target boost so it will be interesting to see what boost is at after a few tanks of gas.

I just want to tell you guys that dont know already that Cobb is great when it comes to customer service and because of that i will have to buck up and spend the extra $ on a Cobb downpipe instead of a Helix. I would like to do it right now but I dont have the cash for the downpipe and an egt gauge and I want to have the gauge first.

Last edited by MO REX; 06-29-2004 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Cobb HWG stage 1 map the best/safest answer to low boost?