Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Cobb Accessport- tons o' questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:06 PM

Car Info: 99 subaru impreza 2.2L coupe
Thumbs up Cobb Accessport- tons o' questions

Hey fellas and ladies! I'm saving up to buy the Cobb Accessport. It seems like a really easy way to get 33 exrta horsepower. I do, however, have some questions about it and related items.

First of all, once I get the accessport, if I do anything in the future (which I'm planning on i.e. exhuast, dwn pipe, pulley) will I have to get differents MAPs for the accessport or will it adjust itself accordingly or won't it make a difference?

Secondly, with a turbo back exhuast, will I still be able to pass emissions if it does have a cat? (I live in PA). How loud are turbo backs? Will I see a lot more power with it?

I don't want to get into entire new ECUs or reflash it or anything, I don't want my car to be out of service at all at this point. Does anyone have the accessport w/ comments?

Thanks a lot!
Old 10-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: 2002 WRX
hi i have a access port cobb stage 3 and i work at a cobb distributer/subaru perfomance shop and can answer most of your questions. first off if you do do anything in the futre to your car you will need to upload the new map on onto your car. The access port comes with stage 1 and 2 as some of the maps so you have that covered and it only takes a few seconds after the first install of the access port to update with the new map. as to your second question i live in california and passing smog here is a pain in the butt. i dont know how it is in PA but you will not pass visual inspection if someone sticks there head undedrneith your car and notices that one of your cats is gone. most likely if you load the stock map back into yhour car before smog test it will pass but i dont know how bad PA smog laws are. If you get a Cobb turbo back or APS turbo back they wont be that loud. We sell cobb and aps and both are of the highest quality and craftsmenship. If you have any questions we can order your access port for you we are 1 of 11 cobb distributers in the US. So we get it first. You can email me if you have anyother questions at Ryan@finelineimports.net or check out our website at www.finelineimports.net have fun with your WRX
Old 10-05-2004, 03:00 PM
KAX

sorry to hijack, but his questions were answered, so.... hows the cobb stage 3? or are you not at liberty to talk about it?
Old 10-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

its great im using the aps dr725 cobb will be using there own top mount instead but its great 17.5 pounds all the way to the red line i use a sti version 3 tranny with sti lsd so i have a little more torque with the 4:11 gears. but other then that its great i want to drop in a short block ej25 to make all kinds or torque but i dont think it would be fun to smog here in california if you have any question or want and cobb aps or japanese part for you WRX emial me at Ryan@finelineimports.net
Old 10-05-2004, 04:34 PM

Hey Ryan,
Thanks a lot, big help. When the time comes, you can order me the accessport? Will there still be a 6-8 week wait?

Also, I'm not sure exactly what they check for here in PA as far as emissions go. I asked my subie dealer about getting exhuast and they said the only thing that will pass will be a cat back, but I also know someone who would pass me anyway (I think). I think the larger the city, the more strict the laws are, and I don't live in a huge city or anything, so maybe I'll be alright, but that won't be for a while anyway.

Since I won't be buying the accessport and turbo back at the same time, how much is the turbo back sold seperately?

And about the stage III, could the stock tranny handle it?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:59 PM
KAX

stock tranny is more than capable. As long as you dont abuse it
Old 10-05-2004, 06:43 PM
Former Sponsor

np no it wont be that long for a access port we have some 02 in stock right now and 04-05 will be here in 2 weeks. before my new turbo i could pass smog with my turbo back i jsut had to revert to stock map. the turbo back from aps runs about 1100 the cobb one is around the same amount. you can find cheaper ones out there but there are 2 problems with them 1 there not near the quality of APS or Cobb. cobb and aps do all there own r&d and there fitment is exelent. well worth it i saved my pennys and its worth it. 2 reason is access pert is tuned to maximize his own exhaust and or the aps since they are really similer but its always up to you. Other exhausts are not bad at all but working with alot of them we have come to love the cobb and APS. sorry about the exhaust rant as far as the tranny goes it will hadel it for the time being with a upgraded clutch but it depends on your driving style for sure and if your using it on the track if you are on the track them it wont last long. I run the STI version 3 tranny with the STI lsd and Exedy hyper single clutch and i have more gripping power then i know what to do with. if you have any more questions you can reach me Ryan@finelineimports.net and thank you let me know and i can get that to you asap.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:41 AM

Thank you sooo much, I wish dealers and mechanics around here were as eager to lend a hand as you are! I'll probably be ordering the accessport within the next month and a halfish to two months. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:16 PM
banned

Car Info: Midnight Black
Aw, lucky. I can't wait for stage 3.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:06 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Ryan,do you know when the stage three is scheduled to come out?And what encompasses a stage three?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

well details even to us are kinda unknown. as far as relese date alot of people on the forums are kinda speculating january. I dont know when but i would think sometime around there. as far as what it would encompass thats still a secret even form us completly but most likely it will encompass there new tmic witch is supposed to be devoide of hot spots, and there uppipe witch will be comming out in 2 weeks. In advance sorry if i misspeled anything im not the worlds greatest typer. If you ahve any quesionts just email me
Old 10-11-2004, 08:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Info from 2 of FLIWRX's posts.

1. hi i have a access port cobb stage 3 and i work at a cobb distributer/subaru perfomance shop and can answer most of your questions.

2. as far as what it would encompass thats still a secret even form us completly but most likely it will encompass there new tmic witch is supposed to be devoide of hot spots, and there uppipe witch will be comming out in 2 weeks.

How is it that you have Cobb stage 3 and you dont know what will be needed to run Cobb stage 3 since it's top secret. I'm not claiming to know everything about tuneing but I wouldnt think a better tmic and upipe with the stock turbo would give you a very significant gain over stage 2. Cobb is claiming a 7 tenths decrease in 1/4 mile times going from stage 2 to stage 3.

Info from Cobb's website

Stage 2
Acceleration Data:
0-60 mph : 4.6 seconds
1/4 mile : 13.4 @ 101.5 mph
(average times based on our customer's results)

Stage 3
Acceleration Data:
0-60 mph : 4.2 seconds
1/4 mile : 12.7 @ 107.x mph
(estimates)

I would be very happy if an upipe (which I already have) and a tmic would make my Cobb stage 2 7 tenths quicker but I seriously doubt it.

BTW, I dont know this to be true but wouldnt you fail the emissions test if you had a TBE with the stock map? I would think a CEL would be a good reason for them to fail your car.

Last edited by MO REX; 10-11-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:48 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cabe
Hey fellas and ladies! I'm saving up to buy the Cobb Accessport. It seems like a really easy way to get 33 exrta horsepower. I do, however, have some questions about it and related items.

First of all, once I get the accessport, if I do anything in the future (which I'm planning on i.e. exhuast, dwn pipe, pulley) will I have to get differents MAPs for the accessport or will it adjust itself accordingly or won't it make a difference?

Secondly, with a turbo back exhuast, will I still be able to pass emissions if it does have a cat? (I live in PA). How loud are turbo backs? Will I see a lot more power with it?

I don't want to get into entire new ECUs or reflash it or anything, I don't want my car to be out of service at all at this point. Does anyone have the accessport w/ comments?

Thanks a lot!
I bought the Accessport, flashed stage 1 and I was very happy with it, I have since went stage 2 and the car pulls like a ****. When you are ready to go stage 2 it would be a good idea to do an upipe and egt gauge at the same time just to be safe. I have never hit over 1500 degree egt's but I have heard of some guys running prety high egt's. You will be reflashing the ecu with the port but it will only take about 5-10 minutes the first flash, after you initalize the port to your car you will be able to flash realtime maps within a minute or two. The great thing about the Accessport is that it allows you to mod slowly without needing to pay out the *** for dyno tuneing every time you add a mod. Here are some helpful links that have a lot of good info on the Accessport http://cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport-faq.html http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...cgi?category=4.

Im not trying to be an *** but you will get much better answers to your questions if you talk to the people at Cobb. They know more about their products than anyone on this site and their customer service is great.

Last edited by MO REX; 10-11-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Silver arrow
You obviously have missed that there is a stage 2.5. Which has a VF30/34, Pink injectors along with stage 2 requirements. Stage 3 will probably add fuel pump and an intercooler. The numbers for stage 3 are well in line with the same type set up from other vendors. I purchased a Accessport from this vendor a week ago and they are fast and reputable. So do some research before going off on someone.
I don't doubt that Fineline is a reputable company, I'm sure they are great like you said. I just dont understand how he could have Cobb stage 3 when he admits that no one knows what will be needed to go stage 3. Since the new map is not out yet I doubt that he has the reflash that will be used as an off the shelf map by Cobb in their new stage 3 and since the original question was about the accessport his response about stage 3 seems misleading. I also know that Cobb has VF30 and VF34 maps and I have heard people call it stage 2.5 but I havent seen them listed as that on Cobb's site. On Cobb's stage power package page they only list stages 1, 2 and 3 and that is why I didnt think that the VF 30 or 34 would definately be a part of stage 3 but what you said makes perfect sense.

Sorry if I hit a soft spot but the fact still remains that in his response to the question he claimed to have an "accessport Cobb stage 3" reflash when he probably doesnt.

Last edited by MO REX; 10-12-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Cobb Accessport- tons o' questions