Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Circuit City screwed up my STI - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX STI
Angry Circuit City screwed up my STI - HELP!!

OK, so I took my '05 STI to circuit city last week to get a stereo, amps and subs installedand when I picked up the car my check engine light was on and the car drive like crap, I basically lost boost pressure. I took it to my subie tuner and we found multiple codes (speed sensor, o2 codes, running lean or rich). However, the map was still intact and the ECU did not go back to original programming or anything.

Here's my set-up: Cobb pro-tune, Cobb TBE, Upipe, FP20G turbo, larger injectors, spt intake

Took back to Circuit City and they spent 2 days looking over their wiring job and basically found nothing except that the cruise control plug was unplugged. Basically they are trying to say that because of the mods, something must be wrong mechanically and its nothing they could have done. However, the car had been running fine up until the point they installed the stereo.

The car drives a bit better, the turbo is spoling, but I still have very little boost. Basically over 4000rpm, boost pressure cuts out.

So, I defer to all your combined experiences out there- what do you all think the problem may be? What area should I concentrate on when I take it back to the tuner next week?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 06 sgm STI & 06 b9
they spent 2 days smashing your car around pimpin on bitshes......sorry I dont know, but I do know when company's got a sick car on there hands they always screw something up.

Last edited by onechop; 08-11-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 PM

Car Info: 05 aspen white 2.5RS
your first problem is you went to circuit city.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
Did you stay there when they were doing the job? Did the mileage change? I always take a picture of the mileage just before giving my car up to see if they have been driving it or anything.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
check the green connectors under the steering column, they should be UNPLUGGED. I remember a few months back a member saying his car was screwed up after he and his friend put in stereo stuff. It turned out his friend saw the green connectors and thought he had unplugged them so he plugged them back in. What is the check engine light code? Since you have a Cobb AP pulling the code should have been the first thing you did
Old 08-12-2007, 11:18 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
He brought the car to me.

Pulled the codes & got all sorts of random ****; speed sensor, frt O2 sensor, etc.
The install was hack: missing seat bolt, large +12v cable rubbing on chassis, etc.
The problem is there's no reason for him to pay me to figure out CC did to his car, yet CC is claiming they did nothing wrong.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX STI
Regardless, Paul will have the enviable task of trying to figure out what exactly they did screw up and then send I will send the bill to CC.
Thanks Paul, see you next week!!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
He brought the car to me.

Pulled the codes & got all sorts of random ****; speed sensor, frt O2 sensor, etc.
The install was hack: missing seat bolt, large +12v cable rubbing on chassis, etc.
The problem is there's no reason for him to pay me to figure out CC did to his car, yet CC is claiming they did nothing wrong.
take the date stamp off the camera and start snapping pictures
Old 08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Smart ***.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx is gone..911 PORSCHE
circuit city sucks!! i just quit my job at circuit city a month ago..dont go there..
Old 09-08-2007, 10:45 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
Originally Posted by 06scooby
circuit city sucks!! i just quit my job at circuit city a month ago..dont go there..
did you work at the almaden one? do you have the tail light mod suby that i see in the parking lot?

yea CC is going down the drain. they are restructuring their operations and are trying to cut cost all across the boards. you're not gonna find any more half decent installers or sales people at CC anymore cuz their pay sucks
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx is gone..911 PORSCHE
Originally Posted by jimmy04wrx
did you work at the almaden one? do you have the tail light mod suby that i see in the parking lot?

yea CC is going down the drain. they are restructuring their operations and are trying to cut cost all across the boards. you're not gonna find any more half decent installers or sales people at CC anymore cuz their pay sucks
no i worked by quimby next to eastridge.we had a bunch of morgan hill managers come to our store while i was leaving
Old 09-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Better than mot

Car Info: 04 JBP STi
Just a heads up for everyone. Circuit City restructured their management. Assistant Mangers who were in charge of installation either lost their jobs or were forced to quit. There are hardly any stores that have anybody that knows what they are doing. My store went from having 4 guys with over 5 years expierence to 0 people in 1 day. I was screwed out of my job. I would never send anyone to them again for anything.