Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

borla hush and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 PM

Car Info: 2006 wrx limited sedan
borla hush and what else?

hey there fellow i clubbers. if i want to install a borla hush on my 06 5mt, do i still need a turbo uppipe and downpipe upgrade for optimal performance gains? if anyone has this exhaust can you recommend which uppipe and downpipe works well with this system. i definitely want to get the borla exhaust, i did not spend 5gs on my radio to drown out the sounds with a loud muffler... thanks in advance....
Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 PM

Car Info: 2004 Wrx
Smile

I have a borla hush on my 04' wrx. Its a direct bolt on and sounds great. If you decide too then a good Up Pipe will help. If you do buy an Up Pipe your gunna wanna look for a Bosal or at least one that is high quality. With that you will reduce lag and have a cool sound.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:55 PM

Car Info: 2005 OBP WRX STI
Performance Gains:

Go to Gruppe-s.com and Get the Helix UP/DOWN Pipe (catted/non-catted) and also purchase a COBB AP for your ride and run the Stage II map until you get a protune. . .

This should help,

Mark
Old 06-07-2006, 04:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
+1 for the HELIX combo...

Thats the exact setup I recommend, being an audiophile myself...

Get the catted HELIX Dp, HUGE GAINS... Uppipe is a worthwhile mod to do.. HELIX is a great brand and a great price, has the least fitment issues as well...

But what he suggested about as the COBB reflash is the best mention yet...

It will allow your engine to run at its optimum, SAFELY... thats key... because youre engine is not going to run well on the stock programming
Old 06-07-2006, 09:23 PM

thanks fellas.. i got the borla installed today and although it sounds great, the performance gain is minimal.. i need to do the up and downpipe as you suggested. and then the cobb accessport. unfortunately all of it at once is not in the budget at the same time. how much should i pay for the helix up/downpipe?
with those two the borla and the cobb app how many more horses you figure? like 40 to 50 or more? after doing these mods is it safe to get a boost controller and crank the boost a little?? man this stuff gets addictive...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:03 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by equinn2823
after doing these mods is it safe to get a boost controller and crank the boost a little?? man this stuff gets addictive...
No boost controller necessary with Cobb AccessPORT. The factory boost control method is still retained but Cobb remaps the fuel, ignition advance, and boost curves for better performance. If you were to install an auxiliary boost controller, you would likely undo the safety cushion built into the engine management maps from Cobb (or a custom Cobb ProTUNER).

If you want additional performance for track use on race gas, get a custom dyno tune and save the map to one of the AccessPORT empty slots. Just be sure to use the correct fuel for the corresponding map to preserve your engine.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 04 STI, 03 M3, 08 335i, 15 i3
i thought 06 uppipes had no cat...would it still be beneficial to get a helix u\p if the stocker is catless?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by mgb04
i thought 06 uppipes had no cat...would it still be beneficial to get a helix u\p if the stocker is catless?
That is correct - '06 WRX uppipe is already catless. Money is better spent on other mods.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-08-2006, 09:08 PM

ok so i dont need the uppipe then. how hard is the downpipe to install? i dont plan on doing it myself.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
equinn2823, I should suggest that you get the COBB AP before any other mods... if you get the downpipe on stock ecu, youre going to run horribly... your ecu will continue to advance/retard while trying to compensate for the new flow of air... your sensors will go nuts too... get the AP first... then the DP... also its about 380 for a catted HELIX dp

install on dp is as easy as doing the cbe...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I saw nice results with both helix uppipe and downpipe with the borla hush.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I have a stock 03 WRX. I was considering the TurboXS Super-Stealth Turbo Back and adding the Borla Hush, as I am looking for the added HP without all the noise and still want to keep it street legal. If I do this, and reset the ECU after the install, do you think I will need any sort of engine management system?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon PSM
Originally Posted by rmates
I have a stock 03 WRX. I was considering the TurboXS Super-Stealth Turbo Back and adding the Borla Hush, as I am looking for the added HP without all the noise and still want to keep it street legal. If I do this, and reset the ECU after the install, do you think I will need any sort of engine management system?
You don't need it, but you will see a lot more power gains with EM and the TBE compared to just the TBE alone. Also, any 3" straight thru exhaust is going to be quite a bit louder than stock when you're on the throttle. If you're not looking for a lot of noise, you might want to go listen to someone's elses car with a borla hush if you haven't yet just to be sure. When you're catless, it's not exactly "hush". Then again, my definition of loud might be different then yours.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:16 PM

Car Info: 17 WRX
Yea the Borla hush is pretty quiet for an aftermarket exhaust. It is a nice addition for a person who is looking for that sleeper look with great gains (when mated with the up/dp ). The guys are just saying to get EM first b/c even though on a stock set up you can see significant gains with EM. But when putting the whole system together ( up+TBE+em) you will see significant gains over stock. If you get it protuned you will even squeeze more HP out of your rex, running similar numbers to a stock STi for only about 2 grand.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 PM

pics of the exhaust

here is a couple pics of the exhaust installed..
Attached Thumbnails borla hush and what else?-p1010158.jpg   borla hush and what else?-p1010159.jpg  

Quick Reply: borla hush and what else?