Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

adding Perrin intake to already-tuned STi - will i need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STI
Will i need a tune!!!???Please help need info ASAP...

Sorry if i'm in the wrong thread...in kind of a rush...

hi i'm at work so i got to make this quick...i just purchased a parrin cold air intake and i was told by some ppl i will need to tune for it or i might be running lean and some ppl say it should be ok to just bolt on...i would like to know if it would be ok to run it without a tune...

Right now i have a vishnu stage 1 with their Vishnu Reflash ecu...

Any info will be greatly appreciated...

Thank you in advance!!!

Last edited by 247R_Sti; 06-26-2006 at 12:19 PM. Reason: might be in wrong thread
Old 06-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Vishnu would most likely not tune ur car for intake. Take the car to a place that can do it. However, be prepared to pay for it, since it does take some time to make it work...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM

Will i need a tune!!!???Please help need info ASAP...

Sorry if i'm in the wrong thread...in kind of a rush...

hi i'm at work so i got to make this quick...i just purchased a parrin cold air intake and i was told by some ppl i will need to tune for it or i might be running lean and some ppl say it should be ok to just bolt on...i would like to know if it would be ok to run it without a tune...

Right now i have a vishnu stage 1 with their Vishnu Reflash ecu...

I have a 04 sti...

Any info will be greatly appreciated...

Thank you in advance!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM

oh i have a 04 sti...

can i run the cold air intake without a tune?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 07 Silver Mazdaspeed 3
as far as i know you can bolt it on and be ok. But you won't be getting near the power you could if you got tuned for the fmic.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
i would get a tune. I heard that all cold air intakes lean out your engine. So a tune wouldnt hurt. Any change to the ecu i think needs a tune. And you are definately changing the amount of air going into your engine.

E
Old 06-26-2006, 02:30 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
247R_Sti, I've merged both of your threads. Please do not crosspost to multiple forums, thanks.

You run the risk of running lean with an aftermarket intake. You don't need an intake at the Vishnu Stage 1 level of tune. The factory intake is not restrictive at that power level on an STi. You can always call Vishnu for their advice.

Vishnu Performance discourages intakes for the reason stated above but they will probably re-tune your ECU if you insist on using the Perrin. You will gain nothing but a safer tune (recommended) with no additional power. It will take about an hour of dyno tuning and will cost you probably $150 to $200 (call Vishnu for hourly rate).

The subject of intakes has been discussed several times. You can use the Search feature on i-Club to find very thorough discussions that already exist.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-26-2006, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Here's another recent thread posted by a member who was recently advised to remove his aftermarket intake on his '04 STi and replace it with the stock airbox.

At your level of power mods, you don't need an aftermarket intake or things like a BOV. Aftermarket BOVs add no power, just a blingy noise. Law enforcement looks for things like that in the Bay Area, too. It tips them off to look for other mods you may have.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Admin v2.0

Intakes make power if you tune for them. Tuning for intake is pretty complex, because you have to recalibrate the mass airflow sensor table. That is due to the fact that airflow characteristics will change. That is why companies that do not wanna "waste" their time tuning for intakes say they are not worth it. That is from MY personal experience and MY own opinion, which I don't force on anyone.

At the same time, it shoud be pretty clear to anyone that aftermarket intakes provide MORE airflow than stock PRE MAF sensor components. Think about it, turbo inlet pipe increases your spool up and power output by a bit. The only reason people don't talk against it, is because it is located after the MAF sensor and does not require any COMPLICATED recalibration like the pre-MAF intake components do.

Aftermarket itakes have been around for as long as the cars have been around and all of a sudden they "stopped" making power for Subarus? I bet my kidneys that if Subarus did not use MAF and used MAP instead, everyone and their mama would be using intakes now.

But to answer your question, your intake will not do much for you unless you get a proper tune for it. Then it will. Untill then, it might actually screw things up for you because your car is not tuned for it and it will cause MAF sensor to mis-read...
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Admin v2.0

Haha, did I scare you guys or something?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 07 LMT HYDRA DOM3
Hi,
I just bought Acessport and I need to help.

I have 04 WRX with following mods: Turbo Xs Stealthback exhaust, Uppipe, AEM Cold intake, HKS BOW, and MBC.

My two problems are MBC, and cold intake.
I know that I need to take that crap MBC out because I don’t run even pass 13 PSI.
And about Intake I’m still thinking, because is PITA to take it off and put stock one in there, they cost the same price.
Would I have any problems running stage 2 with AEM cold intake?