Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

WRX Flywheel/Clutch Warranty replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 01:17 AM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX Sedan
Question WRX Flywheel/Clutch Warranty replacement question

I am getting my car out of the dealer's shop tomorrow. I am having my clutch replaced under warranty due to shudder. The car has 32Kmi on it.

The TSB states that if the flywheel is good it can be re-used, because after 30Kmi the finish is same as new flywheel (I guess they mean to say its sufficiently "seasoned" and does not need to be replaced)...

Anyway, I have one of the early 2002's. I heard that the original flywheel is lighter than the one they replace it with. How much heavier is the replacement flywheel?

Should I try to convince them to just replace the clutch under warranty or should the flywheel be replaced as well?

Thanks!
Maniac
Old 12-30-2003, 08:26 AM

bump?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:30 AM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
I had the work done on my car. They replaced my clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, and a few other small things. I also heard the new flywheel was heavier, but I don't know how much.
At first, the new assembly (in my opinion) wasn't as progressive as the original was. The pedal felt much lighter. It was easier to feather the clutch with the old assembly compared to the new one. The new one almost felt like an on/off switch. But after six months and 12k miles its great. The quicker clutch engagement is better and does so higher up in the pedal travel.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:33 AM

In my opinion, I would have them replace the whole deal. They engineered the new assembly together, because it works well together.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:34 AM

do you feel you lost some trottle response due to heavier flywheel?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:46 AM

I did not notice any loss in throtte response. My car is modded, so that may have affected it. I also drove like my grandmother for 750 miles to break the trans and clutch in. But it feels great now, and I would trade the shudder for a slight loss in throttle respinse any day.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
I also have an 02 with the shudder and it is annoying as %$&@ when it is cold but I haven't gone in to get the clutch etc. replaced because I had read that several people who had it replaced experienced the same shudder again after a few weeks... To those who got everything replaced, is it worth it? (Sorry to hijack the thread)
Old 12-30-2003, 01:29 PM

To those who got everything replaced, is it worth it?
After having the clutch replaced in my car, I have experienced no shudder in the past 12k miles. Well worth it.

(Sorry to hijack the thread)
That is why this is a forum, dont be afraid to jump in and ask questions.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:24 PM

Well, I just got the car back. The clutch feel is a bit different. It has just a slight bit lighter feel to the pedal, probably due to the spring plate being new. As t-wrexxx noted it has a less progressive feel. The engagement point is just that, a point . There is a very short transition region from disengaged to full engagement. Also, you got to keep the revs at about 2000 while engaging, otherwise there is shudder...

But in general I think this will work just OK. The clutch and flywheel are brand new, so I am in the brake-in right now and will be for at least 500 miles. I am gently thermocycling the assembly (hot/cold) to get the stresses out and to give the parts a chance to break-in, and still there is a burnt smell as the oils and solvents left over from the manufacturing process are burining off. We'll see what the new assembly does when "seasoned".
Old 12-31-2003, 12:11 PM

The odd burnt smell will go away after a few weeks, and after a few weeks you will get used to the new feel. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:02 PM

Just takeit in!

As soon as I opened my mouth the dealer just took my car and replaced the clutch. No questions asked! I think since it is a TSB they don't really do extensive road check.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:23 PM

Most dealers will take your car and try to replicate the problem before they do the work. They usually want you to drop it off overnight since the shudder is more common while the car is still cold.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:40 PM

I actually dropped my car off early in the morning and they went to work on it. So, by the time I got to the dealer, the car had wormed up enought for shudder to mostly dissapear...