Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

wisdom on wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 05:15 PM

Car Info: 2.5rs with Eighteens!!!lol
I recently replaced the driver's side rear wheel bearing on my 98 impreza RS, and it went rather well, though it does take patience and it is a dirty job. The hardest tasks by far are removing and reinstalling the actual bearing from the hub, and removing the big long bolt that attaches the rear control arm to the actual wheel hub. You don't NEED a machine press...a good large table mounted vise can do the job with some creativity on your part.

Upon installation of the new bearing it is important to remember the order that the seals came out, and what their orientation was so that you can install the new seals correctly. Secondly when pressing, or hammering (with aluminum or brass punches of course!), in the new bearing make sure to stress only the outer casing when installing into the hub as to not laterally warp the inner bearings, and remember THE SNAP RINGS !!! (remembering to put them in the first time will save you from cursing the forces of creation)

Finally, it is important to remember to purchase the right replacement bearing in the first place. The stock bearing in your car, as well as mine, used caged ball bearings. The new revised bearing assembly utilizes tapered roller bearings, which are much more suited to the task. In order to be certain you are getting the new upgrade, purchase the Legacy bearing instead of the Impreza one. You can see in the casing that the legacy bearing is slightly beefier, and it always had the taper rollers too. I recommend CarQuest, they have everything you need (bearing, seals, and even an installation tool) and the bearing is a super high quality unit manufactured my Federal Mogul...Good Luck
Old 04-16-2003, 07:53 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
Wheel bearing

I just purchased the bearing and 3 seals from CarQuest for $104. They were the only ones within 50 miles of my location that had the bearing in stock. Another thing, everyone complains about having to unhook all the e-brake stuff, I didn't. I just hug the hub/spindle assembly or whatever you call it by a piece of rope from the spring. I'm sure you have read, the bearing does have to be pressed in and out. In my case, the inner part of the bearing failed and I could pull it out with my fingers. The little plastic ring that holds the bearing had snapped in half. That would explain that noise. Anyway I sure by now you fixed it, but hopefully someone else could learn a little bit by reading this post.

-Charles-
Old 04-16-2003, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Some info here on the subject:

http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/drivetr...nsiderInfo.pdf