Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

At what milage did you WRX owners start to have problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 08:10 PM

I've read the responses to this topic with much interest, as I am a current 1997 Legacy 2.2 owner and my WRX is just weeks away.

It sounds like we have two problems here. One is bad manufacturing tolerances/materials and the other is questionable driving.

Some Porsche 968s have a factory bugaboo with the transaxle ring and pinion. The subcontractor that manufactured them put some of them together with an incorrect pre-load setting. They fry at various unpredictable mileages. PCNA has been in some cases hush-hush/lets fix it, and in other cases f-u, not our problem. Sounds to me like something like that may be at work here.

If it were simple abuse, we'd see less stories of grenading trannies than we do here. That being said, I can't tell you how many times I've ridden with people that proportedly "knew how to drive" and were completely hopeless ham-fisted hackers. No question that is the case in some of the bad tranny instances were hearing here .

I have a 1997 2.2 Legacy 5 speed with 143K, my first pedestrian car after nearly 20 years of various tire smokers. The 3rd gear synchro in this car more or less evaporated almost 50K miles ago, and the 4th gear synchro maybe 25, 30K ago. Tranny still going strong. I never, NEVER just graunch that shift lever in there, I ALWAYS double clutch on downshifts into those gears and sometimes on upshifts.

Its something I learned to make transmissions live while driving a 300hp + 4 spd. 1967 Camaro. If you force the issue, you'll get bit. Take care, and you're okay. Like Stirling Moss used to say about the various sports cars he used to drive, shift the car like it has an egg for a shift ****.

For further information, I have throttle matched probably every downshift I've ever made in any car for since I've had my driver's license, 19 years. My pop was an ex-hill climber that taught me the art of smooth speed/care for the equipment. Alain Prost vs. Nigel Mansell (or Gerhard Berger) so to speak.

I've lost two transmissions in 19 years of car ownership. One was bad output shaft bearings at 105K in a 1979 280ZX (moderately modified), and the other was a range of dealer f-ups on a 1988 Integra.

In this thread we have stories ranging from granny-drivers who have trannys explode at low mileage, and draggers who have totally blasted their drivetrains with no issues whatsoever.

I can only conclude that its largely manufacturing defect (apparently addressed in the 2003s), and a measurable proportion of cases where the drivers think they know what they are doing, but clearly don't.

I'll post pictures of my new WRX when I get it.

$.02

Last edited by The Mirror; 05-25-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:31 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by The Mirror
I can only conclude that its largely manufacturing defect (apparently addressed in the 2003s), and a measurable proportion of cases where the drivers think they know what they are doing, but clearly don't.

I'll post pictures of my new WRX when I get it.

$.02
I'm of a mind that it kinda takes a little of both- most of the 'defects' only cause problems when you aren't careful. There are a few bad ones, and there are some perfect ones that were destroyed. You're pretty much right.

And don't be shy with those pics in the gallery! Post here to let us know they are up.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
well new transmission in mine..1500 miles and I'm having the same problem with reverse! I try to do a three point turn in an intersection and I am f*ckin around 4 or 5 trys to get it into reverse. I try putting it in 2nd then reverse (which usually works the best when this happens) but lately it doesnt want to go in at all (without excessive(in my opinion) force)
Old 05-28-2003, 10:40 PM

Wierd problems. There are so many different symptoms here, what are the root causes? Case flex that shreds gears sounds plausable, but it doesn't sound like a cause for difficulties of getting into reverse when stationary. That sounds more like mis-adjusted clutches or under-performing shift linkages. I know after the hack-job a certain northern California dealer did on my clutch, the 3rd and 4th gear crunching is worse.

So lets see......
Difficulty getting into reverse,
Crunching gears,
Grenading gears and siezed gearboxes.

At a glance, these problems would appear unrelated. Geez, what a mess!
Old 05-28-2003, 10:42 PM

Old 05-28-2003, 10:44 PM

Re: Re: Put on 1st gear first!!!

Originally posted by YouAreABus
This works for me: Put it in neutral and let the clutch out. Then shift into reverse.
Me too, every time. On a great variety of gearboxes from all over the globe.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by luis_tux
"I can only conclude that its largely manufacturing defect (apparently addressed in the 2003s)"

Well, I just got a 2003 Outback Sport, and when I was gonna take it out of the lot, the reverse was alittle hard to get into, I thought it was OK, since some cars are like that and its normal. well, i STILL have the grining when i put on reverse, EVEN if i do like I was used to on my '97(put on 1st before the reverse), and sometimes I can't get it on reverse at all!!!!

I'm taking to the dealership in 1-2 weeks for the 3200mi inspection and I'll see if can get the issue resolved. So apparently the issue was NOT resolved on the 2003 models.
Reverse grinding actually is normal- it's a straight cut gear with no synchro. Don't sweat it. Worry when other gears do like reverse does sometimes.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:54 PM

I've heard subaru japan(I think) has some 6sp trannys on their suby's that are much stronger, and durable. WHY IN HELL DON"T THEY PUT THOSE IN THE US?!??!!?!?
Because they are very expensive.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:50 AM

OK. They're expensive...how expensive?
I mean, I really do not mind paying a few extra bucks to get a DECENT car. I know subaru keeps their cars cheap, but to the point of hurting quality is a bit too far....

I'm now afraid of even mentioning the problems I have in fear that after the dealership does any service on the car, they make it worse!

I was wondering....do other models have a different tranny? Like the baja has(seems to me, since i have not done much research on it) the same engine as the impreza 2.5TS, does it also has the same tranny? If not...is it a BETTER tranny?

Aside from that...anyone could recommend some nice magazines about subarus? Mainly with parts, and tips on tunning a suby?
AFAIK there is only one 5 speed transmission in USDM Subarus, just with different ratios. This is why the majority of transmission complaints come from WRX owners(most of those with mods)- it's fine for an EJ25 powered vehicle, even heavy ones. The 6MT is probably around $2-3000 more than the 5Mt due to extra engineering, and much smaller production runs. This is list pricing, the actual production cost would be a little less, but it's still significant.

Quick Reply: At what milage did you WRX owners start to have problems