Drivetrain Encompasses driveline components such as the torque converter, clutch, transmission, shifter, front and center differentials, driveshaft, rear differential, and axles.

At what milage did you WRX owners start to have problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Question somewhat different problem

My 5MT tranny works fine in 1st through 4th gears, but shifting into 5th makes a crunchy noise which I assume is a synchro problem. I have less than 4k miles, and have driven the car both fast and grandma style. Why would the 5th gear decide to break while the rest of the gears take the most abuse? I always offer up a prayer when I'm shifting into 5th now, hoping I wont hear a grind. and this prayer wroks about 50% of the time even with a gentle shift.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 02wrx,04wagon,05 STI cgm
Thumbs up royal purple

No problems even after 7800 miles I change my gear oil to royal purple runs cooler and shirt nice and smooth and yes I do drive my hard that's what it's meant for I can't resist the temptions.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
Re: somewhat different problem

Originally posted by thebankman
My 5MT tranny works fine in 1st through 4th gears, but shifting into 5th makes a crunchy noise which I assume is a synchro problem. I have less than 4k miles, and have driven the car both fast and grandma style. Why would the 5th gear decide to break while the rest of the gears take the most abuse? I always offer up a prayer when I'm shifting into 5th now, hoping I wont hear a grind. and this prayer wroks about 50% of the time even with a gentle shift.
It's weird that 5th gear would go when it's the least used gear, save 5th.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Angry reverse grindin

my reverse grinds like a mo fo. The damn gear never fails at making me look like a freak n jackass. I was woundering if anyone knows what the dealer will do as far as fixing it. I havent had time to take mine in yet. (6,500mile) 2003 wrx sedan
Old 02-11-2003, 09:33 AM

lost 8 teeth off 2nd at 27490, denied warrenty due to bigger turbo.

car is a 2002 sedan
Old 02-11-2003, 07:01 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by wrxnate
denied warrenty due to bigger turbo.
Why on earth would you even take your car in after that?
Old 02-13-2003, 02:51 AM

Car Info: White GDA
Question

From the day i got my car ~ hard to shift in Reverse ~ sometime when i try to make U turn on campus i just stock on the middle and try to shift into reverse like idiot ! and sometime it make crunchy noise white i shift into 1st gear and R !!! that sux... but i still like my car !
Old 02-20-2003, 08:22 PM

Relax, there's a clutch shudder TSB now, if you still have powertrain warranty left you can get a new one. Also, check your tranny oil, it should be a little yellow dipstick on the passenger side underneath the plenum box. If it's low you'll notice it harderto shift without close revmatching.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:48 PM

Technical Service Bulletin. When a manufacturer finds a common problem, they write it up and distribute it as a kind of memo to all the dealers so they are all on the same page about it. If your dealer tries to tell you there isn't one, give them the TSB number. If they still bluff you, call the SOA number and report it.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by JunGdB
From the day i got my car ~ hard to shift in Reverse ~ sometime when i try to make U turn on campus i just stock on the middle and try to shift into reverse like idiot ! and sometime it make crunchy noise white i shift into 1st gear and R !!! that sux... but i still like my car !
I have had the same problem since I first got my 03 WRX. Not as bad, but it does give me trouble. Along with that problem, I am also hearing a noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, only cruising at about 20 max (have to slow down for those damn speed bumps), its sort of like a loud clankking sound that occurs once the clutch is engaged. Now this doesnt happen all the time, but I would try and reproduce it right after it happens and nothing, its fine. Has anyone else heard this noise.

Thanks!!!
Peeezzout!!!!!

Quick Reply: At what milage did you WRX owners start to have problems